Updates From the Career Development Center
Apply Now for a CDCI Fall 2013 Internship via eRecruiting
Students can now apply for a Fall 2013 semester internship through the Career Development Center Internship (CDCI) Program through eRecruiting. The CDCI Program is the largest credit-bearing internship program at Binghamton University. The CDCI Program partners with local, regional, national and international agencies to provide Binghamton University students with a wide variety of opportunities to gain experience. Internship opportunities for the Fall 2013 semester include:
- Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo
- Binghamton Mets
- Binghamton University - Office of Communications & Marketing
- Boys and GIrls Club of Binghamton
- Broome County Department for Audit and Control
- Broome County Health Department
- Greater Binghamton Health Center
- Pioneer Financial Group, LLC
- Riger Advertising
- Roberson Museum
- The Bundy Arts and Victorian Museum
- Tri-Cities Opera
- WBNG TV
- .... and so many more!!!!
Students who apply for a CDCI internship are required to attend a CDCI information session, and upcoming information sessions are occurring on 3/21, 3/22, 4/8, and 4/9. Check the CDC calendar for information about the location and time of the information sessions. The deadline to apply for a Fall 2013 CDCI internship is April 15.
Harpur Students Encouraged to Apply for LACE Program
Liberal Arts to Careers Externship (LACE) provides students in Harpur College an opportunity to learn about careers by shadowing a graduate of Harpur College. Selected students are matched with a professional for a three to five day shadowing experience at the sponsor’s workplace over the summer break. Preference for the LACE program is given to rising and current sophomores. More information about the program including how to apply is available at www.binghamton.edu/lace. The deadline to apply for a summer externship is Friday, April 5.
In Binghamton for Spring Break?... Sign-up for a Mock Interview
For students who want to improve their interviewing skills, the CDC offers a mock interview program. A practice interview is one of the best ways to prepare for an employment interview. It helps you to learn what is expected and how to improve the way you present yourself.
The CDC's Mock Interview Program runs now through Friday, May 10 and will be held within the Career Development Center. Each interview will be approximately 30 minutes in length, with 15-20 minutes for the interview and 10 minutes for feedback. Students can apply to the Mock Interview Program through eRecruiting. Search the “employers” field for “practice interview” and follow the instructions included in the position description. Space is limited, so apply early!
Summer Internship Funding Available for Undergraduate Students!
Sponsored by Binghamton’s campus food services provider, Sodexo, Inc., the Sodexo Internship Fund provides the opportunity for talented undergraduate students to secure financial support while completing an unpaid summer 2013 internship. Through the Fund, chosen students will receive a stipend of up to $5,000 to complete an unpaid internship. For more information about the application process and how to apply, visit the Sodexo Internship Fund webpage. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made on a rolling basis.
Sophomores Interested in International Relations & Global Affairs Should Consider
The JFEW-SUNY International Relations and Global Affairs Program, is a two-year program for sophomore students from Binghamton University who demonstrate a strong interest in a career in international affairs. The JFEW program includes two years of scholarship support (up to $5,000 each year), and a paid international affairs related internship in New York. Students from all backgrounds who match the criteria are encouraged to apply.
- Minimum GPA of 3.2
- U. S. citizens or eligible for citizenship
- Permanent residence must be in New York City or within a 50-mile radius thereof
- Entering their Junior Year in fall 2013
- Current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with their University's Office of Financial Aid. This FAFSA must establish that the student has demonstrated financial need.
- Preference is given to female applicants
The application deadline for the JFEW program is Friday, May 3, 2013, at 4:00 pm. For more information and the application please visit the JFEW pages on the CDC website.
Upcoming CDC Events
How NOT to End Up in a Nightmare Job: Thursday, April 11, 5:30 PM-6:30 PM, UUW 215
- This fun and interactive workshop will help you identify your career values and figure out what exactly you want in/from your future career - and what you don't - so you can be sure to NOT end up in a nightmare job!
Writing Resume and Cover Letters
Writing Cover Letters: Wednesday, April 3, 4:00 PM-4:30 PM, UU 206
- Cover letters are more than assembly-line style merge documents! They must demonstrate genuine interest as well as your fit with their specific needs! Learn how to do cover letters the right way!
Resume Writing - Extreme Makeover Edition: Thursday, April 4, 4:30 PM-5:30 PM, UU 206
- Go beyond the basics! Learn how to take your resume to the next level to showcase the skills employers seek! Please bring a draft of your resume to this session!
Presenting Yourself Professionally
CDC Mock Interview Program: Ongoing - Apply and schedule a session through your eRecruiting account
- The best way to hone your interviewing skills is to practice! Sign up for a mock interview with a CDC staff member through your eRecruiting account. Open to all majors and class years.
Interviewing Skills: Thursday, March 21, 4:30 PM-5:45 PM, UU 206
- Learn what to expect during an interview and how to prepare effectively so you can make a great impression!
FREE LinkedIn Photo Booth!: Thursday, April 4 & April 5, 1:30 PM-4:00 PM, LNG 322
- Do you have a professional photo on your LinkedIn profile? LinkedIn data does show that profiles with images are seven times more likely to be viewed than those without one. The Ladders conducted a study and found that recruiters spend more time examining a LinkedIn user's picture than actually reviewing the person's qualifications. Come dressed in professional attire to have your photo taken!
Upstate New York Tech Career Connection?: Tuesday, April 2, 12:00 PM-4:30 PM, Emerson Suits, Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY
- This event features experienced panelists who will share advice on finding a career in science and technology and an exhibitor session with STEM companies from a 15-county region in Upstate New York. This is your opportunity to network and learn about internships and job openings with STEM companies in the region (NOTE: Not all exhibitors will have job or internship openings).
VIRTUAL CAREER FAIR, Featuring New York's 4 SUNY University Centers: Wednesday, April 17, Online
- Students/Alumni are invited to attend the Virtual Career Fair, a unique virtual event that helps job seekers meet employers in a time efficient, virtual way.
Finding Jobs and Internships
CDCI Fall 2013 Internship Information Session: All sessions in UUW 324
- Wednesday, March 20, 3:30 PM-4:30 PM
Thursday, March 21, 3:00 PM-4:00 PM
Friday, March 22, 12:00 PM-1:00 PM
Monday, April 8, 4:40 PM-5:40 PM
Tuesday, April 9, 4:30 PM-5:30 PM
- Learn how to apply and obtain credit for your FALL 2013 Internship! All sophomores and juniors are welcome to attend.
Securing Federal Employment Abroad : Thursday, April 11, 4:00 PM-5:00 PM, UU 202
- Want to see the world while serving your country? Join us for a discussion about the mission- critical, international positions in the government. Participants will hear from agency representatives and Partnership staff on a variety of international opportunities and how applicants can leverage language and technology skills to secure a coveted position abroad.
Upstate New York Tech Career Connection - April 2
The Upstate News York Tech Career Fair is part job fair, part trade show to network with STEM companies in the region, share information, and learn about any job openings or internships the companies may have. The event takes place on April 2, from 12:00 to 4:30 PM at the Emerson Suites, Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY. Students from local colleges are encouraged to attend, and take part in both the Panel Presentations (Panel 1: How to Land a Job - Your Career in STEM, and Panel 2: Careers in Industry and Academia) and Exhibitor Session. Admission is free for attendees.
Don't miss this opportunity to network and learn about internships and job openings with STEM companies in the region. Registered companies include Amphenol Interconnect Products, Chobani, Dell SecureWorks, GrammaTech, Inc., ICM Controls, staffing consultants among others. To register and for more information go to the event web page by clicking here.
Recruiting Updates: Check out the New Job and Internship Postings!
The CDC posts new internships and full-time positions daily! Visit eRecruiting today to apply for positions! Be sure to regularly check your eRecruiting account for updated postings and deadlines. Recent postings include:
- Summer Student Assistant, New York State Senator Thomas W. Libous, NY- Binghamton
- New York Leaders: Empire State Fellows Program, NYS Department of State, NY- Albany
- Development Intern/COOP, New York Power Authority, NY
- Commercial Producer, Fox 40 News- WICZTV, NY- Binghamton
- Route Sales Representative- General, Frito Lay, Inc., NY- Elmira
- Summer 2013 Human Resources Intern, Ricky’s NYC, NY- New York
- External Relations and Board Development, Ten Thousand Villages, NY- Ithaca
- Regional Director (Volunteer Position), The Borgen Project, NY
- Network Consultant, Advizex Technologies, NY- Fairport
- Recruiter, Linium Staffing, NY- Albany
- Director, Solutions Del/TV Stations Technical/ Business Analyst, CBS Corporation, NY- New York
- Environmental Journalism and Travel Writing in South Africa, Oceans Campus
- Student Trainee (Passport), US Department of State, NY- Buffalo
- Various Positions, VISIONS/VCB, NY- Spring Valley
- Outreach Coordinator, AmeriCorps Reading Partners, NY- New York
- Summer Real Estate Internship Program, Pyramid Management Group, Inc., NY- Syracuse
- Intern, SAC Capital, CT- Stamford
- Israel Government Fellow, Israel Government Fellows Program (IGF), Israel- Jerusalem
- Summer Production Assistant, Island Photography, NY- Port Washington
- Entertainment Public Relations Summer Internship with DKC Public Relations, DKC Public Relations, NY- New York
- Online English/ Math Tutor for K-12 students, Elevate Learning, Nationwide
- High School Teachers, Instituto del Progreso Latino, IL- Chicago
- Summer Intern, Tortoise Investment Management, NY- White Plains
- Marketing Sales Internship, BestForMe, NY- New York
- Junior Wealth Management Trainee, Laidlaw & Company (UK) Ltd, NY- New York
- Sales/ Business Development Internship, Kforce Professional Staffing
- Account Manager, FDM Group LTD, NY- New York
- Summer Intern (Unpaid), NYC Office of Management and Budget, NY- New York
- Associate Analyst, Corporate & Government Institutions, MasterCard, NY- Purchase
- Budget & Management Analyst, Vermont Office of Budget and Management, VT- Montpelier
- Online Marketing Coordinator/ Webmaster, Yale University, CT- New Haven
- Compensation Analyst- Corporate Human Resources, Praxair, Inc., CT- Danbury
- Marketing Analyst, Idhasoft, NY- NYC
- Market Data Business Analyst- Investment Banking, Hatstand, NY- New York
- Front End Developer, Oakridge Staffing, NY- New York
- Accountant, The Resnick Duckman Group LLC, NY- New York
- Engineer, TELEGRID Technologies, Inc., NJ- Livingston
- Software Integrator, Gromelski & Associates, Inc., IL- Bedford Park, IL
- Mechanical Engineer Intern- Summer 2013, Mattel, NY- New York
- Citrix Engineer, Infobahn Softworld Inc., IL- Chicago
- Firmware Engineer, Ikanos Communication, CA- Fremont
- MDM Engineer, Information Unlimited, Inc., DC- Washington
- Network Engineer, Edgesource, MD- Fort Meade
Employer Information Sessions
If you are conducting a job or internship search, Employer Information Sessions are a great way to learn about organizations, gather information about positions, and make all-important contacts in the world-of-work. Check the eRecruiting calendar regularly to learn more about future sessions. Upcoming on-campus information sessions include:
- 4/15 Peace Corps (6:00 PM - 7:00 PM, in UU 108)
- 4/26 U.S. Department of State (Time and Location- TDB)
"Like Us" on FACEBOOK and Follow Us on TWITTER
Stay up-to-date on Career Development Center events and services, participate in polls, and learn about current career-related issues through the CDC Facebook Fan Page! Join us at www.facebook.com/Binghamton.CDC! You can also follow us on Twitter @ BinghamtonCDC.