Updates From the Career Development Center
CDCI Fall 2013 Internship -- Application Deadline is Monday, April 15
Students can now apply for a Fall 2013 semester internship through the Career Development Center Internship (CDCI) Program through eRecruiting. The CDCI Program is the largest credit-bearing internship program at Binghamton University. The CDCI Program partners with local, regional, national and international agencies to provide Binghamton University students with a wide variety of opportunities to gain experience. The deadline to apply for a Fall 2013 CDCI internship is next Monday, April 15.
Students Invited to Participate in SUNY Center Virtual Career Fair on April 17
The State University of New York's four University Centers have arranged for students from their respective institution to participate in a virtual career fair on Wednesday, April 17. Students who participate will be able to interact with employers from their computer and view position postings for full-time and summer jobs in all industries. More than 25 employers have already registered to participate in this event including Dow Jones, EMC Corporation, GEICO, Prudential, Teach For America, and many more. The virtual chat room will be continuously open during the fair, however, specific employer chat hours can be found on the listing of registered employers. For more information and to register for this event students should go to http://newyork.careereco.net/.
BU Mentors Needed for Johnson City Mentor Program (Fall 2013)
The Johnson City Mentor Program is recruiting Binghamton University students to mentor middle school students. The two-credit program involves spending 5-hours a week at the JC Middle School and attending a weekly seminar course. The deadline to apply for a fall semester assignment is Wednesday, May 8, 2013. For more information and an application go to the JC Mentor Program on the CDC website. Please be aware that in order to participate in this program you must have a car as there is no bus service available to this location.
Summer Internship Funding Available for Undergraduate Students!
Sponsored by Binghamton’s campus food services provider, Sodexo, Inc., the Sodexo Internship Fund provides the opportunity for talented undergraduate students to secure financial support while completing an unpaid summer 2013 internship. Through the Fund, chosen students will receive a stipend of up to $5,000 to complete an unpaid internship. For more information about the application process and how to apply, visit the Sodexo Internship Fund webpage. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made on a rolling basis.
Sophomores Interested in International Relations & Global Affairs Should Consider
The JFEW-SUNY International Relations and Global Affairs Program, is a two-year program for sophomore students from Binghamton University who demonstrate a strong interest in a career in international affairs. The JFEW program includes two years of scholarship support (up to $5,000 each year), and a paid international affairs related internship in New York. Students from all backgrounds who match the criteria are encouraged to apply.
- Minimum GPA of 3.2
- U. S. citizens or eligible for citizenship
- Permanent residence must be in New York City or within a 50-mile radius thereof
- Entering their Junior Year in fall 2013
- Current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with their University's Office of Financial Aid. This FAFSA must establish that the student has demonstrated financial need.
- Preference is given to female applicants
The application deadline for the JFEW program is Friday, May 3, 2013, at 4:00 pm. For more information and the application please visit the JFEW pages on the CDC website.
Mock Interview Program Available through the CDC
For students who want to improve their interviewing skills, the CDC offers a mock interview program. A practice interview is one of the best ways to prepare for an actual interview. It helps you to learn what is expected and how to improve the way you present yourself.
The CDC's Mock Interview Program runs now through Friday, May 10 and will be held within the Career Development Center. Each interview will be approximately 30 minutes in length, with 15-20 minutes for the interview and 10 minutes for feedback. Students can apply to the Mock Interview Program through eRecruiting. Search the "employers" field for "practice interview" and follow the instructions included in the position description. Space is limited, so apply early!
Upcoming CDC Events
Virtual Career Fair, feautring New York's 4 SUNY University Centers: Wednesday, April 17, Online: http://newyork.careereco.net/
- Meet employers live in a virtual setting!
- Get interviews without ever leaving your computer
- Avoid waiting in long lines
- Save your valuable time by searching for a job online
- Meet employers searching for candidates with advanced degrees
- Register and upload your resume to automatically be entered into the gift card drawing
Writing Resume and Cover Letters
Cover Letter Writing - Extreme Makeover Edition: Thursday, April 18, 4:30 PM-5:00 PM, UU 202
- Targeted cover letters get read. Generic letters get trashed. We'll show you how to approach cover letter writing to get results!
Resume Writing: Tuesday, April 23, 4:30 PM-5:00 PM, UU 206
- Write a resume that sells you as a candidate who has the skills and qualities employers seek!
Finding Jobs and Internships
Securing Federal Employment Abroad : Thursday, April 11, 4:00 PM-5:00 PM, UU 202
- Want to see the world while serving your country? Join us for a discussion about the mission- critical, international positions in the government. Participants will hear from agency representatives and Partnership staff on a variety of international opportunities and how applicants can leverage language and technology skills to secure a coveted position abroad.
HELP! I'm Graduating and Need a job : Monday, April 22, 4:40 PM-5:40 PM, UU 102
- If you're graduating next month and don't yet have a short or long term plan in place, don't despair! There ARE opportunities out there! Come learn about options and resources you may not have yet discovered.
Career Plannign & Preparation
How NOT to End Up in a Nightmare Job : Thursday, April 11, 5:30 PM-6:30 PM, UUW 215
- This fun and interactive workshop will help you identify your career values and figure out what exactly you want in/from your future career - and what you don't - so you can be sure to NOT end up in a nightmare job!
Juniors: Start the Grad School Planning Process now : Friday, April 19, 2:20 PM-3:20 PM, UU 215
- If you're considering graduate or professional school, NOW is the time to begin planning! Discussion will include how to determine the best program and degree, steps in the application process, what graduate admissions expects, what makes a strong application, and tips on getting funding for graduate school.
Reflections from the Classroom, Teachers Tell Their Stories : Thursday, April 25, 4:00 PM-6:30 PM, UU 215
- Do you really know what teachers do? Or do you just have a vague idea of the teaching profession based on your experience as a student? Gain the information you need to make an informed career decision from educators in the field.
Presenting Yourself Professionally
CDC Mock Interview Program: Ongoing - Apply and schedule a session through your eRecruiting account
- The best way to hone your interviewing skills is to practice! Sign up for a mock interview with a CDC staff member through your eRecruiting account. Open to all majors and class years.
Preparing for an Interview: Monday, April 15, 5:50 PM-7:00 PM, UU 324
- Learn what critical steps to take BEFORE an interview to ensure success DURING the interview.
FREE LinkedIn Photo Booth!: Thursday, April 19 & Friday, May 3, 1:30 PM-4:00 PM, LNG 322
- Do you have a professional photo on your LinkedIn profile? LinkedIn data does show that profiles with images are seven times more likely to be viewed than those without one. The Ladders conducted a study and found that recruiters spend more time examining a LinkedIn user's picture than actually reviewing the person's qualifications. Come dressed in professional attire to have your photo taken!
Build Your Professional Network
CDC/Harpur College of Arts & Sciences Alumni - Student Networking Event: Friday, April 26, 3:00 PM-4:30 PM, C4 - Newing Commons
- An informal opportunity to meet Harpur alumni and explore career paths, job strategies and the value of the Liberal Arts and Sciences education. Refreshments will be provided.
Recruiting Updates: Check out the new job and Internship Postings
The CDC posts new internships and full-time positions daily! Visit eRecruiting today to apply for positions! Be sure to regularly check your eRecruiting account for updated postings and deadlines. Recent postings include:
- Consulting Internship with President Stenger, Binghamton University- Office of the President, NY- Binghamton
- The White House Office of Presidential Correspondence Associate Program Fall 2013, The White House, DC- Washington
- NYC Parks Fellowship & Conservation Corps Program, City of New York, NY- New York
- Candidate Services Liaison, New York City Campaign Finance Board, NY- New York
- Community Outreach and Grant Writer Internship Summer 2013, Civilian Complaint Review Board, NY- New York
- AMERICORPS: Healthy Lifestyle Associate with Cornell Cooperative Extension , Rural Health Service Corps (AmeriCorps), NY- Owego
- Operations Assistant, New York Hotel Trades Council, NY- New York
- 2013 Paid Summer Internships, Envision EMI, VA- Vienna
- Legal Analyst, Balastriere Fariello, NY- New York
- Research Aide- Payroll Student Assistant- Summer Only, The Research Foundation of State University of New York at Binghamton, NY- Binghamton
- Data Entry, Document Prep Clerks, JP Morgan Chase, NY- Binghamton
- Chemist, United States Mint, NY- West Point
- Cell Culture Technologist, Chan Test Corp., OH- Cleveland
- Social Media, Marketing and Programming Internships, ZUUS Media, NY- New York
- Health Care Research Analyst, Guidepoint Global, NY- New York
- Summer 2013 Planning Allocation Intern, Ricky's NYC, NY- New York
- Music Director, Living Water Lutheran Church, AZ- Buckeye
- Broome Energy Conservation Corps, Cornell Cooperative Extension, NY- Binghamton
- Conservation Research & Community Development Internships, The Crees Foundation, Peru
- Entrepreneur, Company X, NY- New York
- H.E.A.T. (Hotel Employees Action Team) Assistant- Internal Union Organizer, New York Hotel Trades Council, NY- New York
- Program Development Internship Summer 2013, Civilian Complaint Review Board, NY- New York
- Counselor, Recreation Specialist, or Lifeguard, Camp Olmsted, NY- Cornwall on Hudson
- High School Teachers, Noble Network of Charter Schools, IL- Chicago
- Elementary School Teachers, Ithaca City School District, NY- Ithaca
- Corporate Communications Internship Job, SRC, NY- Syracuse
- Marketing Intern, ZUUS Media, NY- New York
- Analyst Position, The Camden Group, NY- Rochester
- Summer 2013 Human Resources Internship, Hearst Magazines, Hearst Magazines, NY- New York
- Account Receivable Specialist, Parchem- Fine & Specialty Chemicals, NY- New Rochelle
- Operations Programs Implementation Supervisor, Value Added Solutions, Inc., OH- Portsmouth
- Accounting Manager- Global Financial Accounting & Controls, Amazon, WA- Seattle
- Business Analyst, Mastech, PA- Pittsburgh
- Financial Advisor, Commerce One Financial, NY- Uniondale
- Accounting Bookkeeper- Part-time, Queens Medical Associates, NY- Fresh Meadows
- Online Marketing Coordinator/Webmaster, Yale University, CT- New Haven
- Assistant Small Business Advisor (Part-Time), The Research Foundation of State University of New York at Binghamton, NY- Binghamton
- Business Analyst, iDEA Solutions, MI- Dearborn
- Accountant, eQuest Solutions, CA- El Segundo
- Financial Analyst, Ommeher Inc., CA- Milpitas
- Technical Support Analyst Internship, STCR, Inc., NY- Endwell
- Application Engineer, Creston Electronics, Inc., NJ
- Electrical Engineering Co-Op Summer or Fall 2013, Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab), VA- Newsport News
- Technological Project Engineer, Dalet, NY- New York
- Engineering Internship, EJ, NY- Syracuse
- Field Service Engineer, Black Diamond Video, MD- Baltimore
- Associate Engineer- Tool Development, Fabri-Kal Corporation, MI- Kalamazoo
- Mechanical Engineers, Detroit Engineered Products, MI- Troy
- Desktop/Network Support, Pride Consulting, IL- Cary
Employer Information Sessions
If you are conducting a job or internship search, Employer Information Sessions are a great way to learn about organizations, gather information about positions, and make all-important contacts in the world-of-work. Check the eRecruiting calendar regularly to learn more about future sessions. Upcoming on-campus information sessions include:
- 4/15 Peace Corps (6:00 PM - 7:00 PM, in UU 108)
- 4/26 U.S. Department of State (Time and Location- TDB)
"Like Us" on FACEBOOK and Follow Us on TWITTER
Stay up-to-date on Career Development Center events and services, participate in polls, and learn about current career-related issues through the CDC Facebook Fan Page! Join us at www.facebook.com/Binghamton.CDC! You can also follow us on Twitter @ BinghamtonCDC.