Updates From the Career Development Center
Employers Identify Top Skills and Qualities Wanted from Job Candidates
According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) Job Outlook 2013 survey, in addition to having the requisite major, GPA, and relevant work experience, top job candidates should possess a number of soft skills. In this survey, employers identified they are looking to hire candidates who are good communicators who can make decisions and solve problems while working effectively as part of a team. Candidates should also have the ability to plan and prioritize their work, obtain and process information as well as analyze quantitative data. Technical knowledge related to the job, software program proficiency, the ability to create and/or edit reports and sell or influence others were also identified in the top-10 candidate skills/qualities employers seek.
To gain these valuable workplace skills and qualities, you are encouraged to participate in out-of-classroom experiential learning opportunities such as internships, research, volunteer, and leadership experiences. It’s not too late to apply for summer internships. To find internship opportunities, check out postings on the Career Development Center’s on-line eRecruiting site, individual organization websites, other aggregate internship listing sites such as idealist.org, and/or use Twitter and follow feeds such as @NYinternships. You should also network with personal, professional and family contacts to identify internship leads. If you need assistance with your internship search, visit the Career Development Center (LSG 500) to speak with a career counselor during the CDC’s Counselor-On-Call walk-in hours which can be found on the calendar on the CDC website.
CDCI 200 -- Summer Session-1 Course Explores Majors and Careers
Still undecided about a major or uncertain of your career path? Make the most of your college experience and effectively prepare for your future career by signing up for this summer session career development course!
In summer session 1: (May 28 to June 28, 2013), the online course, “Bridging Academics to Careers: Exploring Opportunities in a Global Society” (CDCI 200) will be offered. This 2 credit course satisfies the “W” requirement.
Create a purposeful plan by becoming well informed and therefore more confident about how you will utilize your college experience! To learn more about the course including objectives, topics, required materials, how you will be graded, and more visit the course webpage on the Career Development Center's website.
BU Mentors Needed for Johnson City Mentor Program (Fall 2013)
The Johnson City Mentor Program is recruiting Binghamton University students to mentor middle school students. The two-credit program involves spending 5-hours a week at the JC Middle School and attending a weekly seminar course. The deadline to apply for a fall semester assignment is Wednesday, May 8, 2013. For more information and an application go to the JC Mentor Program on the CDC website. Please be aware that in order to participate in this program you must have a car as there is no bus service available to this location.
Summer Internship Funding Available for Undergraduate Students!
Sponsored by Binghamton’s campus food services provider, Sodexo, Inc., the Sodexo Internship Fund provides the opportunity for talented undergraduate students to secure financial support while completing an unpaid summer 2013 internship. Through the Fund, chosen students will receive a stipend of up to $5,000 to complete an unpaid internship. For more information about the application process and how to apply, visit the Sodexo Internship Fund webpage. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made on a rolling basis.
Sophomores Interested in International Relations & Global Affairs Should Consider JFEW Program
The JFEW-SUNY International Relations and Global Affairs Program, is a two-year program for sophomore students from Binghamton University who demonstrate a strong interest in a career in international affairs. The JFEW program includes two years of scholarship support (up to $5,000 each year), and a paid international affairs related internship in New York. Students from all backgrounds who match the criteria are encouraged to apply.
- Minimum GPA of 3.2
- U. S. citizens or eligible for citizenship
- Permanent residence must be in New York City or within a 50-mile radius thereof
- Entering their Junior Year in fall 2013
- Current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with their University's Office of Financial Aid. This FAFSA must establish that the student has demonstrated financial need.
- Preference is given to female applicants
The application deadline for the JFEW program is Friday, May 3, 2013, at 4:00 pm. For more information and the application please visit the JFEW pages on the CDC website.
Mock Interview Program Available through the CDC
For students who want to improve their interviewing skills, the CDC offers a mock interview program. A practice interview is one of the best ways to prepare for an actual interview. It helps you to learn what is expected and how to improve the way you present yourself.
The CDC's Mock Interview Program runs now through Friday, May 10 and will be held within the Career Development Center. Each interview will be approximately 30 minutes in length, with 15-20 minutes for the interview and 10 minutes for feedback. Students can apply to the Mock Interview Program through eRecruiting. Search the "employers" field for "practice interview" and follow the instructions included in the position description. Space is limited, so apply early!
Upcoming CDC Events
Career Planning & Preparation
Reflections from the Classroom, Teachers Tell Their Stories : Thursday, April 25, 4:00 PM-6:30 PM, UU 215
- Do you really know what teachers do? Or do you just have a vague idea of the teaching profession based on your experience as a student? Gain the information you need to make an informed career decision from educators in the field.
Build Your Professional Network
CDC/Harpur College of Arts & Sciences Alumni - Student Networking Event: Friday, April 26, 3:00 PM-4:30 PM, C4 - Newing Commons
- An informal opportunity to meet Harpur alumni and explore career paths, job strategies and the value of the Liberal Arts and Sciences education. Refreshments will be provided.
FREE LinkedIn Photo Booth!: Friday, May 3, 1:30 PM-4:00 PM, LNG 322
- Do you have a professional photo on your LinkedIn profile? LinkedIn data does show that profiles with images are seven times more likely to be viewed than those without one. The Ladders conducted a study and found that recruiters spend more time examining a LinkedIn user's picture than actually reviewing the person's qualifications. Come dressed in professional attire to have your photo taken!
*** MARK YOUR CALENDAR ***
- Thursday, September 19 * 11:00 AM-3:30 PM * Events Center
- Tuesday, October 1 * 11:30 AM-3:00 PM * Mandela Room & Old Union Hall
- Wednesday, October 2 * 11:00 AM-2:00 PM * Mandela Room & Old Union Hall
Recruiting Updates: Check out the new job and Internship Postings
The CDC posts new internships and full-time positions daily! Visit eRecruiting today to apply for positions! Be sure to regularly check your eRecruiting account for updated postings and deadlines. Recent postings include:
- Environmental Planner, Delaware County Planning Department, NY- Delhi
- Candidate Services Intern, New York City Campaign Finance Board, NY- New York
- Merchandiser, Frito Lay, Inc., NY- Worcester
- NYC Parks Fellowships & Conservation Corps Program, City of New York, NY- New York
- Entrepreneurship Program Associate, www.connectedu.com, multi-location
- AT&T Technical Development Programs, AT&T, Nationwide
- Assessment and Research Intern, Binghamton University- Student Affairs Assessment & Strategic Initiatives (SAASI), NY- Binghamton
- Help Desk Specialist, Linium, NY-Albany
- Media Strategy Consultant, MiCA Consulting Group, MA-Boston
- Cell Culture Technologist, Chan Test Corp., OH- Cleveland
- Music Director, Living Water Lutheran Church, AZ- Buckeye
- 2013 paid Summer Internships, Envision EMI, VA- Vienna
- Business Intelligence Analyst, Amazon, WA- Seattle
- Diversity Program Coordinator, Equity and Campus Diversity, State University of New York at Buffalo, NY- Buffalo
- Associate Account Executive, OH- Cincinnati
- Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) Manager, Graphic Packaging International Inc., IL- Carol Stream
- Project Administrator, Health & Wellness Partners, NJ- Ramsey
- History Research Project Intern Summer 2013, WSKG Public Broadcasting, NY- Vestal
- Broadcast Intern Summer 2013, WSKG Public Broadcasting, NY- Vestal
- Education & Outreach Intern Summer 2013, WSKG Public Broadcasting, NY- Vestal
- K-8 Teacher, Camelback Academy, AZ- Glendale
- Mentor Teacher- Tufts Educational Day Care Center, Tufts University, MA- Somerville
- High School Teachers, Noble Network of Charter Schools, IL- Chicago
- Public Health & Perioperative Nurse, U.S. Army Medical Corps
- Trading Floor Internship, T3 Trading Group, LLC, NY- New York
- 2013 Management Development Program, M& T Bank Corporation, NY- Buffalo
- Marketing Operations Specialist, MiCA Consulting Group, MA- Boston
- Account Receivable Specialists, Parchem- Fine & Specialty Chemicals, NY- New Rochelle
- Accounts payable role, SDL International America, MA- Wakefield
- Financial Services Trainee, Mutual of Omaha, NY- Syracuse
- SAP Payroll Manager, Deloitte, Multi-location
- Inside Sales Support Agent, TAP Portugal, NJ- Newark
- Account Coordinator, Brown & Brown Metro, Inc., NJ- Florham Park
- Sales Assistant, remedy partners, CT- Darien
- Client Services Associate, SiteCompli, NY- New York
- General Management, McMaster-Carr, Multi-location
- Business Focused College Grad, Rehab Alternatives, NY- Jericho
- Marketing Manager, Hudec Dental, OH- Cleveland
- Associate Account Executive, Job Opportunity, OH- Cincinnati
- Property Accountant, Riverstone Communities, LLC, MI- Birmingham
- Account Executive-IT Sales, Zones, IL- Chicago
- Business Analyst, Chenoa Information Services, FL- Tampa
- Associate Account Manager, Brandmuscle, IL- Chicago
- Purchasing Internship, Amphenol Aerospace Operations, NY- Sidney
- IT Intern, Guida's Milk, CT- New Britain
- Technical Project Engineer, Dalet, NY- New York
- Engineering Summer Intern, VistaLab Technologies, NY- Brewster
- QA Engineer, Linium, NY-Albany
- Cloud Systems Engineer, FaSur Technologies LLC, PA- Philadelphia
- Web Developer, Meadow Search, Ltd, IL- Arlington Heights
- Engineer, Controls, Thomas Engineering, IL- Hoffman Estates
- Cost Engineer, OMT Consultants, LLC, GA- Dalton
- IT Project Manager, Aurora Systems Group, TN- Memphis
- Associate Engineer Product Development, Fabri- Kal Corporation, MI- Kalamazoo
Employer Information Sessions
If you are conducting a job or internship search, Employer Information Sessions are a great way to learn about organizations, gather information about positions, and make all-important contacts in the world-of-work. Check the eRecruiting calendar regularly to learn more about future sessions. Upcoming on-campus information sessions include:
- 4/26 U.S. Department of State ( 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM, in UU 202)
- 4/29 Navy Medical (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM, UU 108)
"Like Us" on FACEBOOK and Follow Us on TWITTER
Stay up-to-date on Career Development Center events and services, participate in polls, and learn about current career-related issues through the CDC Facebook Fan Page! Join us at www.facebook.com/Binghamton.CDC! You can also follow us on Twitter @ BinghamtonCDC.