University Tutoring Services
Student Tutoring Policies
The University Tutoring Services is pleased to provide tutoring for Binghamton University students free of charge. To maximize the benefits of this service, students should closely note the following:
TUTORING PHILOSOPHY /MISSION:
- To proactively prompt students’ development of critical thinking, problem solving, and study skills while resisting the tendency to spoon-feed information
- To encourage students to meet with tutors on an ongoing, regular basis, rather than an emergency basis and/or crisis intervention
- To take the time to probe students’ skills, backgrounds, competing time demands, and aspirations, as these may affect the quality of tutor interactions
- UTS tutoring appointments are recurring, weekly appointments held at the same time on the same day each week.
- All UTS tutoring appointments must be scheduled online through TutorTrac at https://tutortrac.binghamton.edu. Students should use their PODS username and password to login.
- Students may receive tutoring for a maximum of two (2) hours per course per week for up to three (3) courses. Walk-in tutoring sessions do not count toward this maximum.
- ALL scheduled tutoring appointments take place in the CIW Library, Hinman Student Success Center, Mountainview Student Success Center, or C-4.
- Tutoring appointments last approximately one hour.
- Students MUST sign their tutor’s sign in sheet for every appointment. Failure to do so will be tracked as a missed appointment.
CANCELLATION / MISSED APPOINMENT POLICY:
- Students who need to cancel a scheduled tutoring appointment must do so through TutorTrac – NOT directly with their tutor.
- UTS requests that students cancel appointments with a minimum of 24 hours notice. Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will be tracked as a missed appointment.
- Four (4) missed tutoring appointments will result in the loss of tutoring privileges.
- In an effort to ensure the quality of our tutor programming, from time to time UTS staff will reach out to you and request anonymous feedback on your tutoring experience.