Fall 2013 Student Speakers
One of the highest distinctions a student can receive is to be selected as the Undergraduate Student Speaker for Commencement. It is a chance to represent Binghamton University by giving an address that inspires, encourages and reflects the vision and hopes of the Class of 2013. The address not only commemorates the event, but also gives a student the opportunity to pay tribute to those who have helped him/her along the way as well as tout the accomplishments of fellow graduates.
During the fall semester, only one graduating senior will be selected to give the address at the University Commencement to be held on Sunday, December 15, 2013.
To be eligible, the student must be:
- An undergraduate
- A summer 2013 graduate or a fall 2013 candidate
- In good standing with the University
- Able to demonstrate academic success
- An active participant in the University community (i.e., leadership position in club or organization, mentor on campus or in greater Binghamton community, etc.)
Complete applications are due on Friday, October 11, 2013 at noon.
- Online application where you will upload the following file(s):
- Personal statement - include information about yourself as well as why you wish to represent your class at Commencement
- Two letters of recommendation - references must be professors, administrators or staff members at Binghamton University (optional: Recommendation Request PDF)
- Resume - a brief resume that includes your school, major and any university activities
- A complete first draft of the speech you'd like to give at Commencement
- The speech should be substantive, meaningful and entertaining
- The topic should be relevant to graduates, but should also address the general audience
- The address should inspire, encourage and reflect the vision and hopes of the Class of 2013
- Try to avoid bemoaning the world's problems; instead speak of new goals and how the graduates will attain these goals
- Original content is required; this speech should be developed expressly for the Commencement ceremony
- Speech length should not exceed 5 minutes