20:1 Sexual Assault Prevention Program: A Peer Education Model for Greek Life and Athletics
The 20:1 Sexual Assault Prevention Program is a peer education program with an emphasis on Greek Life and Athletics. 20:1 peer interns educate other students on issues of sexual assault prevention including: victim empathy, sexual consent, and bystander behavior.
20:1 was originally a sexual assault prevention peer education program composed of leaders from the University's diverse fraternities. These men voluntarily educated other fraternity members and other men's groups on issues regarding sexual assault. Along with delivering education to all 25 Interfraternity Council and multicultural fraternities on campus, volunteers provided new member education sessions in the fall and spring. 20:1 was established in 2004. Currently 20:1 is a credit bearing internship with both male and female peers. Although an emphasis is still on providing sexual assault prevention education to Greek Life and Athletics, 20:1 has expanded providing education to a wide variety of students across campus including freshmen through the First Year Experience Course, students in the Residential Life Community and students throughout campus at events like Spring Fling and the Health Fair.
THE 20:1 SEXUAL ASSAULT PREVENTION PROGRAM AT BINGHAMTON UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN RECOGNIZED NATIONALLY AS A BEST PRACTICE PROGRAM BY THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE SEXUAL ASSAULT PREVENTION AND RESPONSE OFFICE AND THE CALIFORNIA COALITION AGAINST SEXUAL ASSAULT
20:1 Best Practice Principles:
- Gender Specific
- Peer to Peer
- Culturally Specific (Greek Life, Athletics)
- Gender Balanced (Presenters)
- Interactive Format
- Real Life Scenarios
- Program Stays Relevant/Adaptive to Campus Culture
- Multiple Education Components
- Focus on Sexual Consent
- Focus on Bystander Behavior
- Address Victim Blaming/Rape Myths
- Address Predatory Behavior
- Encourage Victim Support
Did you know?
- 20:1 Awarded the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll; U.S. Department of Education, Housing and Urban Development
- It’s one of only a few programs of its kind on any college campus in the U.S.
- 20:1 members have presented at national conferences and have consulted with fraternity leaders on other college campuses to set up programs similar to Binghamton’s.
- The program is dedicated to the approximately 20 women per hour who are sexually assaulted in this country.
- To request a presentation for the 20:1 Sexual Assault Prevention Program, please contact Nicole Ramos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To request a presentation for the 20:1 Bystander Intervention Program, please contact Adrea Kirwan at email@example.com.
- For all other questions regarding both programs for for consultations, please contact Dara Raboy-Picciano, LCSW-R, at firstname.lastname@example.org.