University Distinguished Professor
PhD (1986), University of Southern California at Los Angeles
Econometrics, Applied microeconometrics, Measurement of efficiency and productivity
Stochastic Frontier Analysis (2000), Cambridge University Press, (co-authored with Knox Lovell).
- "The Joint Measurement of Technical and Allocative Inefficiencies: An Application of Bayesian Inference in Nonlinear Random-Effects Models" (with E.G. Tsionas), Journal of American Statistical Association 100, 2005, pp. 736-747.
- "Estimation of Technical and Allocative Inefficiency: A Primal System Approach" (with Hung-Jen Wang), forthcoming in Journal of Econometrics
- "Estimation of Profit Function when Profit is not Maximum," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 83 (1), 2001, pp.1-19.
- "Relative Performance of Public and Private Ownership under Yardstick Competition: Electricity Retail Distribution" (with L. Hjalmarsson), European Economic Review, 42, 1998, pp. 97-122.
- "Modeling Allocative Inefficiency in a Translog Cost Function and Cost Share Equations: An Exact Relationship," Journal of Econometrics, 76, 1997, pp. 351-356.
- "Which Banks Chose Deposit Insurance? Evidence of Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard in a Voluntary Insurance System" (with David Wheelock), Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, 27, 1995, pp. 186-201.
- "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S Dairy Farms," (with S. Ghosh and T. McGuckin), Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, July 1991, pp. 279-286.