ELP Knowledge Communities
Leadership is developed and applied in a variety of areas every day. The ELP provides a way to explore and practice leadership through a specific theme-oriented lens. Interested in learning more about how leadership fits with your interests? Check out the ELP Knowledge Communities (KCs)!
Each KC consists of 13 new student participants who join a leadership team of trained peer mentors, and a faculty and staff advisor, all of whom share an interest in their specific theme. Through a variety of activities, ELP participants will examine how leadership is utilized within their KC theme and learn how to apply their understanding and skills to impact on this theme. As part of putting their leadership knowledge into action, each KC new student team will develop, coordinate and implement a service learning project during the course of the semester, focused on a theme within their KC focus area. The semester concludes with the student teams presenting their semester experience at a poster symposium, attended by university faculty and professional staff, followed by a final KC meeting.
New students may be a part of any of the KC teams - involvement is not based on intended academic major, but interest. In fact, many past participants connected with KC themes that were well outside of their academic major plans, and have commented about how much they were able to learn about themselves while exploring a different passion/interest area.
The Knowledge Community theme areas planned for fall 2013 are:
- Arts and Humanities (KC meeting time- Mondays 5:15-6:15pm):
- for students interested in art, the performing arts (music, dance, theater, film) and humanities (literature, creative writing, history, philosophy)
- Business and Entrepreneurship (KC meeting time- Tuesdays 12-1pm):
- for students interested in creating and carrying forward innovative ventures, and business topics (management, finance, economics)
- Ecology and Environment (KC meeting time- Mondays 2-3pm):
- for students interested in environmental science, geology, biology, sustainability, urban planning, conservation and connectedness
- Global Awareness and Citizenship (KC meeting time- Tuesdays 3-4pm):
- for students interested in cross cultural communication, languages, global culture and identity development, social justice issues, and global impact of governmental policies
- Public Service (KC meeting time- Mondays 4:30-5:30pm):
- for students interested in government service, non-profit organizations, understanding community issues/needs, law, education and social activism/movements
- Sports, Recreation and Wellness (KC meeting time- Thursdays 3-4pm):
- for students interested in holistic development, fitness, sports, wellness and physical activity