Faculty Senate Budget Review Committee

Annual Report, 2004-2005

 

The Committee’s purview includes the review of past all-funds budget expenditures and the discussion of future budget priorities.  The nature of the accounting and budget reconciliation process is such that the review of all-funds expenditures for a given fiscal year (which runs July 1-June 30) can begin only during the following fall.  In general, final budget reconciliation does not occur until the end of October, and the committee reviews the expenditures at the end of the fall semester.  This report covers the academic year 2004-05; a later report will include budget information for the fiscal year 04-05.

            Principal activities for the year:

Agreement to release an annual summary report of committee business in September, to be followed by a report on the prior fiscal year budget expenditures in January (or as soon as the committee has had an opportunity to review final expenditures).

      Review of 2003-04 budget expenditures; a complete report is available on request.

Discussion of new campus budgeting process at Binghamton University.  Committee regularly discussed the changing nature of campus budget planning, its link to the Strategic Plan, advisory role of the Budget Committee vis a vis the Operations Committee established in Administration in considering the distributions of future discretionary budgetary increases.  The appointment of Michael McGoff to the position of Vice Provost for Strategic and Fiscal Planning has led to a new emphasis on medium- and long-range budget planning.  This will ultimately result in annual and long-range budget plans and systematic analysis of the allocation of discretionary resources.  Given the changing nature of the budgeting process during 2004-05, the committee agreed that it would be best to let the process develop for one or two years, by the end of which the advisory role of the committee in making recommendations for future budgets could be more completely defined.

Discussion of the impacts of the SUNY budget proposals (from Board of Trustees, from Governor) on Binghamton University’s budget and budget planning.

 

           

 

Respectively Submitted,

Peter L.K. Knuepfer

Member of committee in 2004-05, chair 2005-06

            On behalf of Richard Plumb, chair 2004-05

 

Committee members:  Serdar Atav, Laura Bronstein, Howard Brown, Shelly Dionne, Nancy Henry, Peter Knuepfer, George McKee, Richard Plumb, Gary Truce; Student members Richard Ashmeade, 1 graduate student vacancy; Ex-officio members Anthony Ferrara (Vice President for Administration), Mary Ann Swain (Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs), with additional contributions from Michael McGoff and James Van Voorst



ANNUAL REPORT (2004-05)

FACULTY SENATE BYLAWS REVIEW COMMITTEE

 

 

The committee met regularly throughout the year.

 

A list of bylaws changes was proposed to the faculty and approved.  A (short) list of proposed additional changes will be submitted to the faculty in the fall.

 

                                               

 

Hanson, David (Chair)
James, Gary
Maximiek, Sarah
Pastore, Richard
Stewart, Dana
Jones, Wayne
Stamp, Nancy

 

 


 


Convocations Committee

Binghamton University

 

 

MEMORANDUM

 

DATE:             September 28, 2005                

 

TO:                  Kathy Bowman, Faculty Senate Secretary        

 

FROM:            Bruce Borton, committee chair

 

RE:                   2004-05 Annual Report of Convocations Committee   

 

In response to the committee’s charge to allocate funds for the purpose of bringing programs to campus that enhance and support the intellectual, cultural and artistic aspects of the academic curriculum, and to focus our efforts to as diverse a community as possible, the Convocations Committee awarded funds to support 17 separate events during the 2004-05 school year.  Allocations ranged from a minimum of $110 to a maximum of $1000.   Our available funds for the year, including carryover from 2003-04 and new allocations, totaled $17,233.  It has been the practice of the committee over the past years to try to maintain and grow a surplus for occasional more costly events.  Grants this year totaled $9010 leaving a balance of $8223.

 

The organizations and events funded by the committee are listed below:

 

Creative Writing Grad Std’s       Writing by Degrees                                                           500

Campus Consortium                  Thelma Golden speech                                                      500

Judaic Studies                           Alvin Rosenfeld speech                                                     110

OCCM/Jump Nation                  Toni Blackman presentation                                               500

History Dept                             Amira El Azhary Sonbol speech                                         500

Art History GSU                       Crossing the Boundaries                                                    250

Black Student Union                  Manning Marable speech (MLK)                                       750

Multicultural Resource Cen.       The Dream Alive/The Meeting (MLK)                               750

Sociology GSU                          Grad Conference: Hist Social Science                                250

Sigma Lambda Upsilon              Night of Poetry w/ Piri Thomas                                        1000

Eating Awareness Comm.         Be Healthy BU                                                                 500

Binghamton Ballroom Dance      Dance Revolution                                                              800

MALIK Fraternity                     Mohammad presentation (Malcolm X)                              1000

Caribbean S A                          Culture Night                                                                    500

LACAS                                    Afro Argentines                                                                250

Coloniality Working Group         Spring Colloquium                                                             250

Omega Psi Phi                          Women’s Empowerment Event                                          600              

                                                                                                                                            

 

 

 


Committee Membership:

 

Bruce Borton, Department of Music (Chair)         bborton@binghamton.edu               7-6109

 

Serdar Atav, Nursing                                           atav@binghamton,edu                    7-4893

 

Karen Barzman, Art History                                kbarzman@binghamton.edu            7-2009

 

David Hagerbaumer, Campus Activities               dhagerba@binghamton.edu             7-2811

 

Kim Kroll, Campus Activities                               klieb@binghamton.edu                   7-2811

 

Tammara Behonick, Asst. to Provost                   ttara@binghamton.edu                    7-4859

 

Brian Crawford, President’s office                       bcrawfd@binghamton.edu              7-6672

 

David Belsky, student representative                    david.belsky@binghamton.edu       

 

                                                                          

 

 


 


DATE: September 23, 2005

 

TO: The Faculty Senate

 

FROM: Educational Policy and Priorities Committee, Hal Lewis, Chair

 

SUBJECT: Annual Report, 2004-2005 Academic Year

 

 

The committee met frequently during the fall 2004 and spring 2005 semesters. 

 

 

We forwarded to the Senate Executive Committee the following degree proposal:

 

 PhD. in Industrial and Systems Engineering: The previously existing arrangement for students in the industrial engineering field who wish to proceed to a doctorate has been to take the Manufacturing Systems Concentration under the Ph.D. in Systems Science Program.  Thus, this proposal was presented as a rationalization of the doctoral degree programs offered within the Systems Science and Industrial Engineering Department.  This proposal was eventually taken to the Senate and approved.

 

 

We reviewed the following degree proposals, but have not yet forwarded these to the Executive Committee:

 

MS and Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering: We received these proposals very late in the academic year, and several of the members raised a variety of concerns about their content.  We therefore sent a report to the Bioengineering Department and the Graduate School summarizing our questions, concerns, and comments.  We will come back to these after receiving clarifications or revised proposals from the Bioengineering Department.

 

 

 

 

Assessment Review Process for General Education Requirements and Majors: We put considerable effort during the fall, and even the summer, of 2004 into addressing the difficulties of administering the assessment process, particularly with respect to the general education requirements and the staffing of the ACT’s.  In the end, we concluded that, although the EPPC should continue to have a very general oversight role, it was untenable for us to continue to administer the program in the same direct sense as may have been true in the past.  We therefore turned this routine administration role over to the Provost’s Office.

 

 

Review of BS Program in Bioengineering: In response to a mandate from the full Faculty Senate, passed in February of 2003, that the EPPC should re-examine the Bioengineering Program in two years, we attempted to do a complete review during the fall and particularly the spring semesters.  However, much of the documentation and data necessary for a thorough examination were either unavailable or not readily forthcoming.  For example, the Senate had called for outside consultants from other bioengineering programs, but as of spring 2005, no such consultants had yet been brought in.  As another example, the EPPC requested of both the Bioengineering Department and the Watson Dean’s Office that whatever preliminary documentation may have been developed in preparation for the future ABET accreditation process be forwarded to us, but we have not yet received any such documents.  In the end, we formed a subcommittee to review the limited data that were available to us and to draft an Interim Report based on those.  The full EPPC later discussed this interim report and sent it forward to the Executive Committee, promising to pursue a more thorough study during the 2005-2006 academic year, assuming that more information is available at that time. 

 

 

We also briefly discussed a variety of general issues, such as duplication of teaching content across different academic units, as requested by members of the Faculty Senate Executive Committee.

 

 

 

Committee membership, 2004-2005:

 

Hal Lewis, Systems Science, Chair

Frank Cardullo, Mechanical Engineering

Jeanne Eichelberger, Libraries

Ricardo Laremont, Sociology

Burrell Montz, Geography

Julian Shepherd, Biological Sciences

Al Vos, English

 

Mike Davaros, undergraduate

Tim Kahrs, undergraduate

Graduate representative left pending

 

Provost Mary Ann Swain, ex officio

Vice Provost H. Stephen Straight, ex officio (fall 2004)

Vice Provost Nancy Stamp, ex officio   (spring 2005)



 


Faculty Senate EOP Advisory Committee

Annual Report, 2004-2005 Academic Year

 

The Committee met five times during the academic year. We reviewed the goals and objectives of the Educational Opportunity Program for 2004-2005 provided by Dr. Pogue and assisted his efforts to provide his staff with the resources they need to serve EOP students. Dr. Pogue regularly provided updated the committee regarding his and EOP staff activities and initiatives, their recruitment of EOP students, and the Summer Enrichment Program. Committee members wrote letters to NYS legislators urging full restoration of the cuts that were made to EOP and TAP in the Governor’s 2005 Budget. At the committee’s request, the Binghamton University Faculty Senate passed a formal resolution which was sent to our legislators urging the same. Those cuts were restored in the final budget that was adopted. The process for requesting extra textbooks from faculty teaching courses with a high EOP student enrollment for the EOP Tutorial Center has been formalized by Dr. Pogue. Because the hiring and retention of tenure-track faculty of color has an impact on the retention of students of color, the committee thought it was appropriate to study the longitudinal data on the hiring and promotion and tenure of faculty of color on the BU campus. Therefore we met with staff from the Office of Institutional Research; we expect to have this information from them by the beginning of the fall 2005 semester. We began discussing the feasibility of conducting a campus wide survey of minority issues on campus by collaborating with existing campus offices and committees.

 

Janet Hogan, Chair

 

Committee Members:

 


Dickson Adu

Don Blake

Cheryl Brown

Elizabeth Carter *

Tiffany Fernandez

Marilyn Gaddis Rose

Janet Hogan

Francine Montemurro

Andrei Patergin

James Pogue

Natasha Rodriguez

Kelvin Santiago

H. Stephen Straight

Leo Wilton

Mark Zhang

* (for H. Steven Straight during Spring 2005 semester)



Annual Report of the Faculty Senate

Intercollegiate Athletics Committee

2004 – 2005

 

The Faculty Senate Intercollegiate Athletic Committee (IAC) met three during the 2004 – 2005 academic year. At the first meeting the chair suggested that since financial issues had been considered previously the topic for the current year would be the impact of Division I athletics on academics at the University. The committee decided that since the University was conducting an NCAA mandated self study, it would be prudent to invite the Chair of the academic subcommittee (Don Blake) to a meeting to discuss the activities of that committee.

 

Dr. Blake agreed to attend the next meeting. At that time the subcommittee report was in draft form and he was not authorized to release it. He suggested that the chair contact the chair of the entire self study committee, Michael McGoff. Dr. McGoff felt it was inappropriate to release the document prior to its acceptance by the entire self study committee. The report was not provided until late in the spring semester.

 

After reviewing the report the IAC was convened including several invited administrators; the Director of Undergraduate Admissions, the Registrar and the Director of Institutional Research. The contents of the report were discussed.

 

Committee Composition:

The composition of the committee is four faculty with vote drawn from various schools plus the Faculty Representative to the NCAA without vote; 2 undergraduate students (1 female, 1 male) with vote designated by the Student Association; 1 graduate student teaching assistant with vote designated by the Graduate Student Organization; Director of Physical Education, Recreation and Athletics ex officio without vote; 1 individual designated by the Vice President for Student Affairs without vote.

 

Members of the committee included;

Frank Cardullo (Chair), Mechanical Engineering

Dennis Lasser, Management & Faculty Representative to the NCAA,

Terry Webb, Student Affairs

Frank Newman, English

Jim Stark, Art

Joel Thirer, Director - Health, Physical Education and Athletics

Rob Vanbuskirk – Biology

Gandelman, Anna - Student
Sindell, Andrew - Student

 

Submitted by Frank Cardullo, Chair

 



Annual Report of the

Faculty Senate Library Committee [6/4/05]

 

            The Committee met in the fall and spring terms to review library matters:  The Binghamton University Libraries have rejoined the Research Libraries Group which enables resource sharing through interlibrary loan, on-site access to member institutions’ collections and other services with New York area research institutions such as Cornell and NYU.  SUNY Central reached a 5 year 2005-2009 agreement with Elsevier/ScienceDirect.  Full-text electronic journal coverage is available from 1995 for 1800 titles (nearly all journals in ScienceDirect).  SUNY Libraries will receive all journal issues in electronic form (PDF and html formats) in lieu of print issues.  SUNY Central also provided financial support for other new digital products including ARTstor, a database of approximately 300,000 art images encompassing architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, decorative arts and material culture.  Both ScienceDirect and ARTstor can be accessed via the Libraries’ web page for Databases and Journal Indexes.  http://library.lib.binghamtno.edu/databases/dyndb.php.

 

The Libraries and Graduate School began requiring Electronic Theses through UMI in the fall of 2004.  Electronic Theses are available on-site electronically at http://wwwlib.umi.com/cr/binghamton/main or for purchase from UMI.  Also in the fall, the Libraries implemented a “No Food/No Drink/No Noise Policy” following recommendations by students in the LibQUAL survey.   

 

During the summer of 2005, construction will begin to relocate the South POD from the Engineering Building and merge it with Bartle Library Reference Services to create an Information Commons. This is a collaborative endeavor between the Library and Computing Services staff and will provide students a holistic computing experience with appropriate assistance identifying, locating, retrieving and manipulating information resources.

 

Another renovation project underway in the Summer 2005 is the relocation of Reserve to the Bartle Circulation area. While the move was prompted by the need to replace the lights in the Reserve Reading Room, it creates one convenient service point for faculty and students needing to use reserve materials, pick up interlibrary loan materials or to check out materials from the stacks.  A number of options for the former reserve area are being discussed.

 

 

This summer, the Libraries will implement federated search software, Metalib from the Ex Libris company (http://www.exlibris-usa.com/metalib.htm). Metalib enables library users to conduct an online search across multiple information resources including, for example, online catalogs, reference databases, digital repositories, and subject-based Web gateways

 

During June 2005, The Library Annex will staff the public reading room at the Library Annex at Conklin. An announcement will be posted on the Library web page and also on the Library hours web page. Currently, the plan is to open 15 hours per week, Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 9:30 AM – 1:30 PM. The Libraries hope to implement electronic desktop delivery of articles from the journals stored at the Library Annex in the fall of 2005.

 

The Libraries held two staff retreats in two years for “strategic planning and team building.”  In the fall, Susan Currie accepted the position of Associate Director for Public Services.  In the spring, the first issue of the Libraries newsletter, LibraryLinks, appeared as a PDF at http://library.lib.binghamton.edu/librarylinks/links_spr05.pdf.  (One can also view articles in HTML at http://library.lib.binghamton.edu/librarylinks/index.html.)

 

 

Members of Faculty Senate Library Committee, Fall 2004-Spring 2005:

Charles Burroughs, Director, CEMERS

Peter Gerhardstein, Psychology

Scott Handy, Chemistry

Gerald Kadish, History

Sarah Maximiek, Libraries

Richard McLain, English

Anna Gandelman, Std. Assoc. Representative

Angela Nguyen, Std. Assoc. Representative

(Grad. Std. Org. Representative was not appointed)

Michael McGoff, Vice Provost, Academic Affairs

John Meador, Director of Libraries

Charles Nelson, Physics, Library Committee Chair


 


 

 

 

 

 

M E M O R A N D U M

 

Date:               22 September, 2005    

 

To:                  Faculty Senate

 

From:              Sandra D. Michael

                        Chair, Professional Standards Committee

 

Subject:           04/05 Annual Report

 

 

 

The Committee received one case during the academic year.  The PSC determined that it was not an appropriate case for the Committee.  The case was clearly an academic matter, and the student was referred to the University’s stated ‘Academic Grievance Procedures’. 

 

Committee Members:  Professors Miguel Arcones (Mathematics), Masha Britten (Nursing), David Cingranelli (Political Sciences), Arieh Ullmann (Management)  

 



Report of the University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 2004-05

During the 2004-05 academic year the UUCC continued its normal work of certifying courses that meet the Binghamton University General Education requirements.

 

In addition the Committee accomplished the following:

 

1. Proposed a new General Education Foreign Language requirement for transfer students to the Faculty Senate. The proposal was passed by the Senate and has been incorporated into the General Education Foreign Language requirement for all students. (See the sections entitled "Current Students" and "Prospective Students" at:  http://gened.binghamton.edu/language.html.) 

 

2. Established guidelines for fulfilling the General Education Foreign Language requirement through study abroad or through certain kinds of internships. (See the section entitled "Foreign-Language Internships or Study Abroad" at:  http://gened.binghamton.edu/language.html .)

 

3. Established a subcommittee to look into methods of handling Foreign Language appeals from students with learning disabilities. The subcommittee proposed a policy that was accepted by the UUCC. That policy is to be implemented by the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities.

 

4. A complete redesign of the Binghamton University General Education web site. The web site's new URL is: http://gened.binghamton.edu. Some of the important features of the redesign are:

 

  • There is a new page devoted to the foreign language requirement 
  • The Appeals page is linked to the Main page
  • There is a new Faculty & Staff page which incorporates the guidelines for Gen Ed course submission, plus a link to the course submission form and the Gen Ed policy manual. 
  • There is a new text-only page for people who use text readers for the blind and visually impaired.
  • There is an updated General Education Policies and Procedures Manual.

 

The Committee would like to express its gratitude to Liz Abate, the university's Coordinator of General Education and Assistant for Undergraduate Education for her outstanding work on this significant web site redesign and for the essential assistance she constantly provided to the committee over the course of the entire year.

 

Attached to this report is the 2004-05 Report on University-Wide (UNIV) Course Offerings, required by the Faculty Senate Executive Committee.

 

2004-05 UUCC Committee Members:

 

Liz Abate                                 Stanley Masters
Linda Ballinger              Colleen Reardon

Don Blake                                Sara Reiter
Richard R. Eckert, Chair           Joshua Price

Florina Getman             H. Stephen Straight
Wayne Jones                            Anna Tan-Wilson
Rosemarie LaValva                  Johannes von Hoff
   


                          

 

PO Box 6000

Binghamton, NY  13902-6000

607-777-2141, Fax 607-777-4831

 

 

OFFICE OF THE PROVOST AND

VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS

 

 

 

M E M O R A N D U M

 

 

DATE:             September 1, 2005

 

TO:                  Faculty Senate

FROM:            Mary Ann Swain, Chair

                        Academic Computing and Educational Technology Committee

 

SUBJECT:       2004-2005 ACET ANNUAL REPORT

 

 

During academic year 2004-2005, the ACET engaged the following topics with the following results:

 

Topic:  SPAM

·        Background:  The negative effects of, and complaints about, spam email were discussed.  During summer and early fall ’04, Computing Services had received many complaints about the volume and content of spam.  Many faculty and staff had complained that CS should more aggressively block spam based upon content (i.e., “Viagra”, pornography, etc.).  Others had warned that they needed to see all their email.  The CS spam filter was already discarding about 65% of email based on its origin from known spam sites (but not based upon content).

Results: 

o       The ACET discussed the issue and agreed that, in an academic environment, it was inappropriate for the computing center to delete email based upon central content standards.  Computing Services described its plans to implement a new spam filter that had the potential for letting each email user set his/her own content standards, and the ACET agreed to this approach.

o       As a result, over the Winter break 2004-5, a new spam filter was implemented.  The new filter has improved performance and reliability over the old filter, and has the ability to tag email as “Probable Spam” based upon content ratings, allowing people to set their own filters to delete the targeted email if they choose to trust the filter program. 

o       Spring statistics show that about 65% of email continues to originate from known spam sites and is discarded immediately, about 1% (normally) contains a virus and is purged, 15% is assessed as “probable spam”, tagged and sent on to the user, and about 20 % appears legitimate to the filter.


 

Topic:  Wireless Networking

·        WIRELESS:  Requests were received from both faculty and the Student Association representatives to increase wireless networking coverage on campus and improve the ease with which mobile devices can utilize wireless. 

Results

·        A program called “Bluesocket” has been installed which removes the need for virtual private network (VPN) software to access the wireless network.  This is particularly good news for those using mobile devices, for which a VPN client was often not available.

·        More than 100 new wireless access points have been installed on campus, significantly expanding wireless coverage (click coverage map or go to <http://wireless.binghamton.edu/coverage.htm >).

·        A pilot project has begun to bring comprehensive wireless coverage to the dorms over the next few semesters.  Mountainview is already completed.

 

Topic:  Technologies and Teaching

·        Turning off Wireless in Classrooms during Exams?  A request was received from a faculty member to turn off wireless coverage in classrooms when exams are given.  The ACET discussed this.

  • Result: sent a memo to all faculty advising that the presence of wireless needs to be taken into account when giving exams, but that turning off the wireless network would not be an effective approach in preventing unauthorized communications during class, since many other forms of electronic communications are available beyond the campus network.

·        The ACET discussed the fact that with changing technologies and increased access to technology by students, that faculty need more support in learning about technology. 

  • Result:  The ACET asked that a faculty “laptop” program be developed that would make it easier for faculty to acquire laptops which could be used for personal development and teaching.    The committee asked for100 laptops per year, to be distributed according to guidelines to be developed upon approval of the concept.

·        An ad hoc “BlackBoard” committee reviewed the use and future direction of the BlackBoard (BBd) course management system.  The committee found that the use of BBd is growing rapidly as more than 6000 students log on to the system on the average day during the semesters. The committee made recommendations for acquisition of the Content Management module.  The ACET agreed that we should proceed with those recommendations.  The ACET also asked, in light of the rapid development of open systems by consortia of institutions of higher education, that in about two years, Computing Services review the potential for replacement of BBd with an open-systems-based course management system.  Further, if the review indicates that such a conversion should take place, the ACET recommended that at least two years be put aside for a smooth conversion to the new system.

  • Result:  Computing Services has acquired the Content Management module of Blackboard.  Further, CS is negotiating with Blackboard to freeze our prices for a four-year period, ensuring a two-year window of opportunity for conversion, should ACET recommend in two years to convert from Blackboard to an open system replacement.

 

·        Long-Range Plan review:  During this academic year, the University has developed a new strategic plan.  As a prelude to revising the long-range IT plan, the ACET reviewed new technology brainstorming ideas from the previous year as well as initiatives from previous years (such as previous long-range plans, the Research II recommendations, etc.) that have resulted in significant change to the campus environment.

  • Result:  It is anticipated that this review will be used to guide the update of the University’s long-range IT Plan in the coming year.

·        Computing Services requested that the ACET approve the extension of the “Campus Manager” network protection software, used over the past year in the residence halls, to the main campus.  The software is used in the residence halls to 1) scan machines to require up-to-date anti-virus protection and fully patched operating software, register “clean” machines for full network access, and automatically quarantine machines if later potential virus activity is detected.  The software has had an immense, positive impact on keeping the residence hall network clean and functioning at full speed. 

  • Result:  The ACET agreed that Campus Manager’s automatic detection and isolation of detected viruses be extended to the main campus, but asked Computing Services not to extend the automatic scanning and machine-registration features of the software to the main campus without further review.

 

Information Items

·        Research II Recommendations Review:  The ACET reviewed recommendations made by the “Research II” subcommittee in 2002, and how those recommendations had been implemented (or not).  Steve Dickman (former chair of the subcommittee) was invited back to help assess the success of the recommendations made by that subcommittee.  Major recommendations of that committee resulted in progress in the following areas:  establishment of the Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Center, development of the 24-hour Research Support facility in Computing Services, initiation of “Communities of Support efforts in statistics training for grad students and a birds-of-a-feather group for Linux users, and development of multiple video conferencing capabilities.  In light of this review and the University’s new strategic plan, the ACET agreed that it was time to study the computing and network needs of researchers once more.  A group will likely be charged with this task early in the fall semester 2005.

·        The “Information Commons”:  The committee reviewed the joint proposal of the Library and Computing Services to create an “Information Commons” by moving the South Pod to the library’s first floor, where pod consultants, reference librarians and helpdesk personnel would all be available in one place for student users of the pod.  The IC is scheduled to open in February, 2006. 

·        The “Student Success Commons:  The committee also heard plans to locate the Technology Training Center and two new computer classrooms in the basement of the library in close proximity with the Center for Learning & Teaching, the Career Development Center, and International Student Office in an effort to provide better support for students in need of the services of those offices.  The SSC is tentatively scheduled to open in 2006 or 2007.

·        Concern over the illegal use of copyrighted material (especially downloading) was periodically reviewed with the ACET.  At year’s end, the first subpoena was issued by the Recording Industry of Association of America (RIAA) for information about a Binghamton student.


 

·        The Pods:  The ACET reviewed a survey instrument developed by Academic Computing to assess issues concerning use of the pods by students.  Results of the survey showed that about 55% of students have laptops, but most do not bring them to the main campus because they remain as bulky as a large textbook.  Pods are heavily used by students.  They are generally satisfied with the hours of availability, software and reliability of the pods.  They want more computers in the pods.

·        Computing Services reviewed with the ACET recommendations it was developing to advise departments on phasing out Windows 95 and 98 machines, now that Microsoft no longer supports them and some anti-virus manufacturers have done the same.  Without such support, it is becoming much more difficult to protect our network environment with these vulnerable machines present.  Guidelines for upgrade or replacement of these older machines were published to faculty and staff in Computing Service’s August 2005 “NewsBrief” newsletter (available on the Computing Services’ website under “More News” at http://training.binghamton.edu/nb_backissue.asp?month=August&year=2005.

·        Linux and Open Source software were issues that emerged in a couple of discussions such as the BlackBoard discussion described above.  A course taught by Professors Wu, Kraft and Lander in spring 2004 explored computing in the Linux environment.  Subsequent discussions with Computer Science and Engineering faculty resulted in replacement of Sun workstations in a computer classroom with Intel machines running Linux.  This classroom is available for the fall semester, 2005.

 

Committee members included:

 
 


Mary Ann Swain, Chair

Jayanth Anandar (Grad student)

Jeffrey Barker

David Belsky (Undergrad student)

Sandra Card

Sungdai Cho

Jeff Donahue

Tony Ferrara

Kanad Ghose

Stephen Gilje

Surinder Kahai

Kenneth Kurtz

Mark Reed

Karen Salvage

James Wolf

Mark Zhang

 

lo

S:\Academic Affairs Common Area\ACET\2004-2005\2004-2005 Annual Report.doc

 



COMMITTEE FOR THE UNIVERSITY ENVIRONMENT

ANNUAL REPORT 2004-2005

 

            The Committee held 10 meetings this year.  Active members included Herbert Bix, Don Brister, Joe Graney, Tom McDonough , Julian Shepherd (Chair), Ted Swetz, John Titus, Deanne Westerman (faculty members), Tony Ferrara (Vice Chair), Juliet Berling (environmental ombudsperson), Rene Coderre (residential life), Pearse Murray (Fall) and Wayne Schneider (Spring) (physical plant), Lee Nesslage (professional staff), Jeff Bohner (graduate student), and Wayne Jones (consultant).

 

            Our major business this year included (1) review of alternative means of transportation to, on , and from Campus, (2) a proposal to amend the University’s Strategic Plan with an environmental goal,  (3) review of energy usage on Campus, (4) support and participation in Natural Areas developments, Earth Day, and the annual campus cleanup, (5) review of pesticide use on Campus.

 

1.        Transportation to and on Campus.  Building on last year’s discussions, the Committee reviewed alternatives to the use of single-occupancy, private cars for transportation to, on and from Campus.  To facilitate bus transportation, the Committee investigated possibilities for use of Broome Co. Transit and Off-Campus College Transport by faculty and staff.  The possibility of some kind of group rate on BCT is under discussion with the County; the use of OCCT for faculty and staff was determined to be feasible for a moderate, semester-long fee.  In an effort to identify areas to be served, the Geog. Information Systems Facility generated maps for CUE showing where faculty and staff resided in Broome Co.  The Committee also discussed the possibility of setting up a ride-sharing system, and the possibility of lowering fees and/or providing special parking areas for multiple-occupancy vehicles.  To facilitate pedestrian and bicycle access, recommendations were made for consideration by the Binghamton Metro. Transportation Study concerning pedestrian and bicycle crossings across the Parkway and across the River to Johnson City.  To determine faculty and staff desires for alternative transportation means such as the above, the Committee drafted a questionnaire to be circulated to faculty and staff, perhaps at the time of vehicle registration.

 

2.        University Strategic Plan.  The Committee reviewed the draft Strategic Plan for the University and suggested an additional goal for the Plan addressing the environmental “footprint” of the University.  Although this apparently was forwarded to the committee drafting the Plan, no response was received and there was no environmental component in the final Plan.

 

3.        Review of Energy Usage on Campus.  Peter Carney, Utilities Manager for the University, gave a presentation on energy usage, conservation strategies, and energy aspects of construction by the University.  The Committee will revisit this in subsequent years to track progress.

 

4.        Natural Areas, Earth Day, and Campus Cleanup.  The principal event for the Nature Preserve was the funding from a private source and hiring of a Steward of the Natural Areas.  The Committee advised on the position and responsibilities of the person hired for this position.  The Committee also approved two proposals for low-impact use of some of the natural areas for research and teaching purposes.  The Committee also participated in Earth Day and Campus cleanup efforts organized by other environmental groups.

 

5.        Pesticide Use on Campus.  CUE received and reviewed the annual proposal for pesticide use from the Physical Plant.

 

 

Submitted by Julian Shepherd, Chair



FACULTY SENATE COMMITTEE ON COMMITTEES

2004-2005

 

The committee had the following members:

 

Brister, Donald – Libraries

Carpenter, James – SEHD

Chatterji, Manas – SOM

Conlon, Michael – English (on leave in Spring)

Gal, Susannah – Biological Sciences

Kraft, Philip – Sociology

Lander, Leslie – Computer Science (Chair)

Stewart Fahs, Pamela – DSON

Tucker, Libby – English

 

The committee met in person on September 30, 2004 and February 11, 2005 and otherwise maintained contact by email.  At the September meeting, the committee selected Leslie Lander as chair.  Candidates for most committees were brought to the Executive Committee in time for approval at the May meeting.  Two committees: Intercollegiate Athletics Committee and University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee were not completed by that date and must be finalized by early in the Fall.






2004-2005 Annual Report

Faculty Senate Evaluation Coordinating Committee
Submitted by Max Pensky, Chair, FS ECC


The Faculty Senate Evaluation Coordinating Committee met five times during the course of the academic year. The Committee determined that Vice Provost H. Stephen Straight was due for evaluation, and submitted a (first ever) online evaluation form to faculty in April 2005. The results of the survey have been compiled and a report will be submitted to the Provost's Office and Vice Provost Straight in the near future.

 

 

Committee members:            Bordeaux, Abigail - Libraries
Carpenter, Robert - Education
Chatterji, Manas - School of Management
Grabo, Theresa - Decker School of Nursing
Kraft, Philip - Sociology
Pedersen, Erik - Mathematical Sciences
Pensky, Max - Philosophy (Chair)
Thirer, Joel - Health, Physical Education and Athletics
Way, Eileen - Systems Science & Industrial Engineering








 


INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETIC BOARD

2004 –2005 Annual Report

 

            The Intercollegiate Athletic Board met three times during the 2004-2005 academic year.  As is customary the athletic director and his staff kept the board abreast on the progress of the athletic teams, recruiting of athletes and coaches, on facilities management and improvements, the operating budget and team performances.  The committee discussed other issues as they pertained to recommendations for the IAB that were put forward by the various subcommittees of the NCCA certification self-study report.  Many of the recommendations were incorporated into revisions to the existing IAB by-laws. The recommendations were first brought forward in the March 2, 2005 meeting. Changes were made and the revised by-laws were further discussed at the April 27th meeting. Enclosed are copies of minutes from all three meetings as well as the revised by-laws. 

 

 

 

IAB, 2004-2005

Matt Bassett, Associate Director of Athletics (ex officio without vote)

Mary Beth Lennox, Asst. Director of Athletics (ex officio without vote)

Graham Munro, student male athlete (2004-2005)

Neil Rose, Alumnus (2003-2005)

President Student Association (ex officio) (2004-05)

Rachael Laws, student female athletic rep (2004-2005)

Dennis Lasser, SOM, Faculty rep to the NCAA (Chair) (ex officio)

Steve Dickman, Geology (2003-05)

Leslie Haywood, English (2003-05)

Financial Vice President, Student Association (ex officio)

Norman Spear, Psychology (2003-05)

Anthony Ferrara, Vice President of Administration (ex officio)

Joel Thirer, Director, PERA (ex officio without vote)

Sandra Michael, Biology (2003-2005)

Jill Seymour, SEHD (2003-2005)


                                                                                                Amended 4/30/05

 

BINGHAMTON UNIVERSITY

INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS BOARD

 

BYLAWS

 

I.                    NAME

This Board shall be called the Binghamton University Intercollegiate Athletics Board, hereinafter referred to as “the Board.”  The Board is responsible to and reports to the President.

II.         MEMBERSHIP

a.                   The Board shall consist of fifteen voting members appointed by the President. The designee of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs shall act as chair of the Board.  The voting members consist of six full-time faculty members recommended by the Faculty Senate Committee on Committees and approved by the Faculty Senate Executive Committee (including the Faculty Representative to the NCAA). One member of the Alumni Association of Binghamton University, recommended by the Association (preferably a resident of the area who participated in intercollegiate athletics while a student at Binghamton). Six full-time enrolled undergraduate students in good academic standing,  including the Student Association President and Vice President for Financial Affairs (or designees), and four selected by the President from letters of intent; of the total student membership at least one must be a member of men’s varsity athletic team, at least one a member of a women’s varsity athletic team, and at least one not a participant in intercollegiate athletics; the designee of the Vice President for Student Affairs; In addition, the Director of the Department of Physical Education, Recreation, and Athletics (and/or designees)* shall serve ex officio without vote.

 

*The Director may designate the principal men’s and the principal women’s athletic administrators.

Bylaws of the Intercollegiate Athletics Board, Amended 2/14/01, Page 2

 

b.                  Terms of membership:  The Administrators shall serve for the duration of their terms of office, as shall the Faculty Representative to the NCAA; terms of other faculty members shall be staggered by lot on overlapping two-year rotations, with two of the members serving an initial one-year term; terms of students shall be staggered by lot on overlapping two-year rotations in the same pattern as faculty; the alumni member shall serve a two-year term.

III.       DUTIES

            The Board shall conduct broad-based reviews and gather information as necessary to enable it to advise the President on such matters:

Standards and policies for student participation in intercollegiate athletics as not to conflict with the University’s mission, goals, objectives, and practices;

Review academic data for student athletes. A subcommittee will be formed each year to make a presentation of the data to the full committee each semester;

Planning the intercollegiate athletics program to include considerations for Title IX/Gender Equity, minority issues and NCAA Division I Legislation. Subcommittees will be formed each year to review gender equity issues and report to the full Board);

Planning of the intercollegiate athletics program to include considerations for minority issues and NCAA Division I legislation.

Funding for intercollegiate athletics (see IV below);

Preparation of an Annual Report for the Intercollegiate Athletics Program to the President with a copy to the Faculty Senate;

Other matters referred to it by the President. To facilitate this, the President will meet with the IAB Chair at least once a semester.

 

 

FUNDING OF INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS

The Board’s responsibilities in III. c. include:

a.                   Formulating and recommending to the President the annual intercollegiate athletics budget.  In arriving at such formulations, the Board shall base its determinations upon all sources of athletics funding for the prior year, taking into account changes in enrollment, fee increases, inflation, and changes in the athletics program;

b.                  In contemplating changes in the range of intercollegiate athletics, the Board must weigh budgetary implications of such changes;

 

Bylaws of the Intercollegiate Athletics Board, Amended 2/14/01, Page 3

 

c.                   In the event of a shortfall of receipts or allocations, the Board shall develop and recommend to the President a revised budget;

d.                  The Board shall oversee expenditures for intercollegiate athletics, ensuring that such expenditures follow SUNY System and as applicable NCAA, University and Conference fiscal and accounting procedures.

e.                   A finance subcommittee will be formed in order to facilitate this responsibility

 

 

STANDARDS AND POLICIES FOR STUDENT PARTICIPATION IN INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS

The Board shall take necessary steps to ensure that NCAA and applicable University and Conference policies regarding student eligibility for participation in intercollegiate athletics are followed.

PLANNING THE INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS PROGRAM

The Board shall be the recommending body for additions to or deletions from the varsity intercollegiate sports engaged in by Binghamton University.  In making such recommendations, the Board shall consider the mission of the institution, budgetary resources, the availability of appropriate physical facilities, and likely demand for the sport over an extended period of time as primary criteria.

THE BOARD SHALL HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO ASSEMBLE AD HOC COMMITTEES AS NEEDED

Ad Hoc Committee members may include members from outside the board membership if needed.

 

 


Intercollegiate Athletic Board

Meeting Minutes

10-26-04

 

 

Present: Matt Bassett, Steve Dickman, Leslie Heywood, Dennis Lasser, Chair, Rachael Laws, Mary Beth Lennox, Sandra Michael, Neil Rose, Jill Seymour, Skip Spear, Joel Thirer

 

NCAA Certification Update:

 

Dennis Lasser, Mary Beth Lennox and Jill Seymour updated the committee on the progress of their individual working groups and subcommittees. Items being discussed within these groups included issues of admission decisions, retention and graduation rates, and gender and minority issues. The subcommittee reports go to the Steering Committee in late November where they’ll be reviewed and then returned to the subcommittees for any revisions before being forwarded to the President. Initial indications from these subcommittee reports is that there will be increased involvement of the IAB and the Faculty Athletic Representative in overseeing some of the areas mentioned above.

 

Spring 2004 Academic Update

 

Mary Beth updated the committee on the spring 2004 academic information. The composite gpa for all student athletes was a 3.04, 28.5% of student-athletes had a 3.5 or above and 12 student-athletes perfect 4.0’s for the spring 2004 semester. It was suggested that for the Fall 2004 Academic update information on the gpa’s of funded versus non-funded athletes be included in the report as well as comparison information of student-athlete gpas and how they compare with that of the student body at large.

 

Team Updates

 

Joel Thirer updated the committee on the fall sports teams. The Men’s soccer team is ranked 24th in the nation with a 10-1-5 record. They are second in the conference behind Boston University. Play-offs are coming up shortly and we are hoping the team does well. The Women’s soccer team is tied for 4th in the conference with a 10-4-2 record and Binghamton has a good shot at hosting a payoff game.

 

The Volleyball team is 4th in the conference. One of their best players, Annie Crocus is out for an indefinite period with an injury and this will affect the team. The Women’s X-country team has a good chance at coming in third in the conference and the Men’s X-country will probably finish somewhere between 5th-8th place.

 

The golf team has had its best fall season ever. The  Men’s and Women’s tennis teams have also had a strong showing and have a good chance at being contenders for the championships. Swimming and basketball, both men’s and women’s are just starting up.

 

Events Center

 

To date sixteen hundred plus season tickets have already been sold for the basketball season. The Center holds 5600 at full capacity with room for 1200 student seats. America East is televising 25 games (men’s and women’s) this season. BU has five games set. MSG will be carrying the America East games.

 

Wrestling Reinstatement

 

The wrestling program will return to BU in the fall. An annual budget allocation of $230,000 earmarked for the wrestling program will enable BU to reinstate the program. The funding for the head and assistant coaches as well as for scholarships, equipment and recruitment activities will come from the $230,000 budget allocation.  The question of where the wrestling team will be “housed” is still up in the air and will present a challenge given the current facilities.

 

New Business

 

Matt discussed the beginning planning stages for a concept currently being called “Bearcat Village”, an integrated facilities venue which will be funded through a capital campaign. He will keep the committee updated at our future meeting.

 

Meeting adjourned at 3:15pm.

 

 

 

 

 


Intercollegiate Athletic Board Meeting

April 27, 2005

 

 

Present: Dennis Lasser, Matt Bassett, Rachel Laws, Skip Spear, Sandra Michael, Graham  

             Monro, Joel Thirer, Neil Rose, MaryBeth Lennox, Jill Seymour

 

Bylaws Revisions

 

The amended Bylaws were distributed and discussed. The following changes were

recommended:

 

III. b.   Add “Academic Data Review Committee” as the heading.

 

III  b.   Revise second sentences to read “A committee will be formed each year to make a presentation each semester of the data to the full Board.”

 

III  c.   Add “Gender Issues Committee:” as the heading.  Delete the phrase “and minority participation issues” from this section. Delete the word “committee” and add “Board”.

 

III  d.   Strike “Funding for intercollegiate athletics (See IV below)”. Add “Minority Issues Committee:” as the heading. Add “Planning the intercollegiate athletics program to include considerations for minority issues and NCAA Division I Legislation. Committee will be formed each year to review minority issues and report to the full Board.”

 

III  e.   Strike current wording and add “Funding for intercollegiate athletics (see IV 

below);

 

III  f.    Strike current wording and add “Preparation of an Annual Report for the

             Intercollegiate Athletic Program to the President with a copy to the Faculty

             Senate;”

 

III g     Add “Other matters referred to it by the President. To facilitate this, the

             President will meet with the IAB Chair at least once a semester. “

 

IV e     Add the heading “Finance Committee:” to the statement beginning “A 

            finance committee will be…”. Add second sentence reading “The Committee

            will meet at a minimum once a year to review budget information and to

            review the athletic fee.”

 

In the spirit of the Bylaws, the Board needs to make a concerted effort to increase student attendance at the Board meetings. In the past extra efforts have been made to increase student participation and we all agreed that you “can lead a horse to water…”. However the Chair agreed to continue his efforts to increase student participation at the meetings. The Board also needs to ask Rodger Summers to appoint a designee from the Student Affairs Division.

 

 

Budget

 

Joel shared the 04-05 and the 05-06 information with the Board. He stated that the budget is an estimated and ever changing animal and there is a constant reconfiguration of budget numbers as revenue flows in and out. The budget doesn’t become final until a year after the initial budget proposal.  Joel and Matt answered questions regarding the specifics of different budget items.

 

Team Reports

 

The track and field championships will be held this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The Men’s golf team plays this Monday and Tuesday. The baseball team has been doing well and is currently at .500. The softball team has had a tough season and is struggling. Men’s lacrosse has had a tough schedule and has been very competitive in every game they have played and the Women’s LAX team is much better than their record shows. Both the Men’s and Women’s tennis team have been having a great year. Five student athletes were awarded the Chancellor’s Awards.

 

New Business

 

Matt is currently working on a proposal for Binghamton to host the Men’s America East basketball tournament in March.

 

Meeting adjourned at 3:08pm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Intercollegiate Athletic Board Minutes

March 2, 2005

 

Attending: Steve Dickman, Sandra Michael, Matt Bassett, Marybeth Lennox-Dunn, Graham Munro, Leslie Heywood,  Dennis Lasser, Jill Seymour, Joel Thirer, Norman Spear, Neil Rose

 

The meeting began at 2:05. Members of the Committee introduced themselves.

 

The focus of the meeting was to go over the recommendations to the IAB from the NCAA certification self-study report that was recently completed by the University. The self-study report was comprised of three sections: Academic Integrity, Governance and Commitment to Rules Compliance and Equity & Welfare. Each of the three sections of the report had plans for improvement that were pertanant to the IAB.

 

Academic Integrity: 

The report had two plans for improvement from this section that pertained to the IAB. Firstly, the self-study recommended that the IAB add to its by-laws that it reviews the academic data of all cohort student-athletes. The academic data includes retention, graduation, academic performance rates as well as any other measure the committee deems as pertanant. The study also recommended that the IAB include as its duties to periodically review the adequacy and effectiveness of the academic support services available to student-athletes. A discussion ensued as to how to evaluate adequacy. Several measures were discussed including, exit interviews of the student-athletes and reports from support personal from the athletic department.   Also, at this time a subcommittee consisting of S. Michael, D. Lasser, M. Lennox, and a student non-athlete was formed to work on changing the by-laws to reflect these as well as other additions to be discussed throughout the meeting.

 

Governance and Commitment to Rules Compliance:

The report identified one general and two specific concerns in this area. There was a general concern with consonance between the guidelines set forth by the SUNY Board of Trustees and Binghamton’s IAB bylaws. In order to rectify this concern, the IAB chair agreed to meet with the president to formulate a course of action if discrepancies are in fact evident. The report also noted that the current IAB membership is at variance to its bylaws. Problem areas specifically identified as proper student representation and 1 designee of the Vice President for Student Affairs were discussed and the chair said that every attempt will be made to resolve the discrepancies by the fall of 2005.  Finally, the report mentioned that current IAB responsibilities involving recommendations to the President are not being formally addressed. This conclusion was made from reading over IAB minutes. Although these issues are discussed informally, the committee agreed to formulate a finance sub-committee and to discuss the budget formally as well to make sure that formal recommendations are made to the President for any additions or deletions of varsity sports.

 

Equity & Welfare:

The report recommended that IAB sub-committees be established on gender and minority equity issues. The committee agreed to make the changes in the by-laws to establish the sub-committees by the fall 2005 semester.

 

The meeting was adjourned at 3:25