2006-2007 Faculty Senate and other committee annual reports

 

Faculty Senate Budget Review Committee

Annual Report, 2006-2007

 

The Committee’s purview includes the review of past all-funds budget expenditures and the discussion of future budget priorities for the University.  The nature of the accounting and budget reconciliation process is such that the review of all-funds expenditures for a given fiscal year (which runs July 1-June 30) can begin only during the following fall.  In general, final budget reconciliation does not occur until the end of October, and the committee reviews the expenditures at the end of the fall semester.  The committee usually reports to the Faculty Senate on the prior year’s budgetary expenditures during a Faculty Senate meeting in the Spring Semester.  However, that was not done in Spring 2007.  Thus, this report includes both the report on the 2005-06 budget year as well as the remainder of the committee’s activities during academic year 2006-07.

            The committee met four times during the 2006-07 academic year.  Our principal activities were:

Reviewed incremental increases to campus budget implemented for 2006-07 and planned for 2007-08.  Vice Presidents had identified some $24 million in budget needs, of which about $3 million could be funded.  The incremental increases in funding discussed by the committee included funds to open the Downtown Center, an additional $500,000 to the base budget to continue the increase in graduate student stipends, and an additional $800,000 to the base budget to hire additional faculty (which probably will be around $1.1 million of new money, total of $2.7 million in faculty hiring, in the final analysis).

Reviewed the progress in the President’s hiring initiative.  Over $4 million was added to the base budget over a four-year period to add faculty, all as part of a goal to reduce the student:faculty ratio to 20:1 (though still not achieved).

Reviewed the 2005-06 budget expenditures in light of the previous 5 years.  From 2000-01 to 2005-06, expenditures in Academic Affairs has increased 35% (mostly for faculty hiring and graduate student stipends), whereas core expenditures across the rest of the University have increased only 9% (excluding utilities and athletics).

Discussed the proposed and enacted SUNY-wide budgets for 2007-08.  Key initiatives included full funding of raises added to base (enacted), funding for SUNY-wide enrollment growth (enacted), funding for targeted faculty hires through the Empire Innovation Program (enacted), increases in the funding for Educational Opportunity Programs (enacted), increases in funding for graduate students (not funded), capital projects (about 1/3 funded).

Discussed economic impact of the Turkey program.  It hasn’t grown as large as originally intended, though the Provost stated that the programs that were slated to hire new faculty in support of the program were given those hires.

 

Respectively Submitted,

Peter L.K. Knuepfer, Committee Chair

 

Committee members:  Serdar Atav, Howard Brown, Shelly Dionne, Robert Emerson, Nancy Henry, Peter Knuepfer, Sean Massey, Frank Mols, Gary Truce; Student members Michael Schiffman (undergraduate), Nikolay Karkov (graduate); Ex-officio members James Van Voorst (Vice President for Administration), Mary Ann Swain (Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs), Michael McGoff (Vice Provost for Strategic and Fiscal Planning)


2006-2007 Budget Review Committee addendum

 

 

From: Knuepfer, Peter
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:11 PM
To: James, Gary
Subject: RE: Budget Committee report

 

Here is more information from the discussion held on 2 March 2007 regarding the Turkey program.

 

The Committee requested information about how the funding that has been received for the Turkey program has been expended.  Here’s what I had requested:

  1. Several people have approached me inquiring about how the funds being generated by the Turkish program are being spent.  More precisely, they are pointing out that certain departments/programs had been identified as needing new hires to meet the needs of this student cohort.  According to these individuals, such support hasn’t been forthcoming, at least not as rapidly as anticipated.  Instead they apparently are expected to absorb these students into existing classes with existing faculty.  Now, this is second-hand information.  But I’d like to hear about the budgetary impact of this program—both on the campus as a whole and on those programs that are providing the bulk of the education to these students.  I realize this may better be addressed to/by the Provost, and if so I’d appreciate you forwarding this to her.  I’m not looking for an enormous report here (though if that would be appropriate, we can put this off until the next meeting).  I do expect the topic to be brought up on Friday (and it’s not just one person asking the questions).

 

The responses from Michael McGoff and Provost Swain at the BRC meeting included the following points

    1. The program has evolved to be smaller than originally planned, especially because one of the partners pulled out.
    2. There is roughly $1.3 million per year in tuition arriving as a result of the program.
    3. 5% of the income funds tuition support for Turkish students; this is part of the original agreement.
    4. The promised hires in support of the program have been made (according to the Provost—though some departments take exception to this).  However, when lines were allocated, they weren’t set up as required target hires (I took that to mean that the Provost considered that hires were given to Political Science and History, but the departments weren’t required to hire individuals who would contribute directly to the program offered to the Turkish students).


 

Date:  September 10, 2007

 

From:  Randall H. McGuire, Professor of Anthropology and Chair 2006-2007 Faculty Senate By-Laws Committee

 

To: Faculty Senate of Binghamton University

 

Re:  Report of the 2006-2007 Faculty Senate By-Laws Committee

 

 

 

During the 2006-2007 academic year the Faculty Senate By-Laws Committee consisted of:

 

Randall McGuire - Anthropology (Chair)
William Heller - Political Science
Sara Reiter - School of Management
Dana Stewart - Romance Languages
Sarah Maximiek - Libraries
Matthew Johnson – for President DeFleur 
Nancy StampDean of the Graduate School

 

In the Fall of 2006, the committee considered by law changes to incorporate the faculty of the new School of Education and the College of Community and Public Affairs.  The committee also proposed changes to the by laws to eliminate reference to the defunct School of Education and Human Development.  The committee sent the recommended changes to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee.

 

At the end of the Fall 2006 semester, the Executive Committee charged the Faculty Senate By-Laws Committee to consider revisions to the by-laws to resolve inequities in the proportional representation of departments and schools on the Executive Committee and other key committees.  The Faculty Senate By-Laws Committee forwarded its recommendations for such changes to the Executive Committee at the end of the Spring 2007 semester.

 

The Faculty Senate By-Laws Committee finished the Spring 2007 semester with no further work or deliberations on its agenda.



memorandum

to:                 kathy Bowman                     

from:           a. serdar atav, chair convocations committe             

subject:     convocations committee

date:            10/17/2007

 

In response to the committee’s charge to allocate funds for the purpose of bringing programs to campus that enhance and support the intellectual, cultural, and artistic aspects of the academic curriculum, and to focus our efforts toward as diverse a university community as possible, the Convocations Committee awarded funds to support 18 separate events, 17 of which took place during the 2006-2007 academic year and 1 of which will take place during the coming year.  Allocations ranged from a minimum of $200 to maximum of $800.  Our available funds for the year, including the carryover from 2005-2006 and new allocations, totaled $12,313.  It has been the practice of the committee over the years to try to maintain and grow a surplus for occasional more costly events. Allocations this year totaled $8,030 leaving a remaining balance of $4,283 forward into the 2007-2008 academic year.

The organizations and events funded by the committee are listed below.

Date

Sponsor

Applicant's Name

Allocation

8/28/2006

Women's Studies, PICH

Corrine Bertram

 $        250

8/30/2006

BU Creative Writing Graduate Students

Deborah Poe

 $        250

9/10/2006

Justice Project, Sociology Grad Student Union

K. Santiago-Valles

 $        300

9/8/2006

Harpur Palate

J. Schraffenberger

 $        250

9/6/2006

Student Association

Rebecca Kauffman

 $        200

11/14/2006

English Department

David Bartine

 $        500

11/14/2006

Multicultural Res. Center

Morales/Johnston

 $        500

11/14/2006

Three Angels

Yakeba Allison

 $        350

11/14/2006

Chabad

Daniel Zenilman

 $        250

12/4/2006

Multicultural Res. Center

Morales/Johnston

 $        800

12/4/2006

African Student Association

Stephanie Okwudi

 $        800

2/7/2007

Africana Studies

Isidore Okpewho

 $        800

2/20/2007

Asian Studies Program

John Chaffee

 $        500

2/20/2007

Chabad

Daniel Zenilman

 $        500

4/11/2007

Exp. Media Org./Student Action Collective

Stephen Cormier

 $        500

11/4/2007

Black Student Union

Andrea Dozier

 $        500

12/18/2007

CEMERS

Sandro Sticca

 $        280

15/5/2007

Writing By Degrees

Eve Rutheford

 $        500

 

TOTAL ALLOCATIONS

 

$      8,030

 

Balance from 2005-2006

 

$      1,813

 

2006-2007 Allocation

 

$    10,500

 

Balance forward into 2007-2008

 

$      4,283

 

 

 

 

Committee Membership:

A. Serdar Atav ,  DSON (Chair)

atav@binghamton.edu

Bruce Borton, Music

bborton@binghamton.edu

David Belsky, Student Rep.

evp@sa.binghamton.edu

Sandra Dube, Student Rep.

vpup@sa.binghamton.edu

Michael Schiffman, Student Rep.

president@sa.binghamton.edu

Brian Crawford, President’s Office

bcrawfd@binghamton.edu

Gladys Jimenez-Munoz, Human Development

gjimenez@binghamton.edu

Jennifer Keegin, Campus Life

jkeegin@binghamton.edu

Andrea Wawrzusin, Registrar’s Office

awawrz@binghamton.edu

 


 

memorandum

to:                 kathy Bowman                      

from:           a. serdar atav, chair convocations committe    

subject:     convocations committee aNNUAL REPORT ADDENDUM

date:            October 12, 2007

 

1)       Information regarding the total number of requests and the number funded:

There were 18 formal applications and 2 inquiries.  All formal applications were funded.

2)       What kind of criteria the committee used to determine funding:

The committee used its charge as the major guide for funding decisions: “bringing programs to campus that enhance and support the intellectual, cultural, and artistic aspects of the academic curriculum, and to focus our efforts toward as diverse a university community as possible”.  The committee traditionally has not funded events that did not fit the criteria above or requests for food, receptions, or parties.  Publicity, speakers’ fees, or transportation are items that were specifically funded.  In addition, events that cater to a variety of groups on campus in general, and undergraduate students in particular, were looked upon favorably by the committee.

3)       What are the sources of the funding that the committee got?

The funding came equally from the Presidents’ Office and the Student Association with $5,250 from each, for a total of $10,500.

 



DATE: September 31, 2007

 

TO: The Faculty Senate

 

FROM: Educational Policy and Priorities Committee,  Hal Lewis, Chair

 

SUBJECT: Annual Report, 2006-2007 Academic Year

 

 

Committee Members: Herbert Bix – History, Elizabeth Brown – Libraries, Benjamin Fordham - Political Science, Hal Lewis - Systems Science (Chair), Patrick Madden - Computer Science, Al Vos – English, Stanley Whittingham – Chemistry, 2 undergraduate students (vacant seats), Vic Chaubey (graduate student), H. Stephen Straight (ex-officio) , Mary Ann Swain (ex-officio)

 

The committee met approximately six times during the fall 2006 and spring 2007 semesters and discussed various topics via email.  The meetings were less frequent than in most years because there was less activity involved in reviewing new programs.

 

The primary topics covered this year were the following:

 

 Biomedical Engineering Program Proposal: We finally received a revised proposal for a graduate program in Biomedical Engineering in September 2006 and reviewed it in October.  This new proposal (combined, both Ph.D. and MS) was radically different from the original proposals (separate MS and Ph.D.) received about 17 months earlier in April 2005.   The new proposal placed the major emphasis on the doctoral program and also suggested much less interaction with other graduate programs on campus, both of which we viewed as neutral changes.  The committee again studied impacts on the Department of Biological Sciences and various other factors.  One factor that made the committee more confident was that the Department of Bioengineering went from only one tenured/tenure-track faculty member in previous years to six as of Fall 2006.  We quickly passed the proposal ahead to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee with our recommendation to approve.

 

Assessment of General Education: Much of the energy of the EPPC this year focused on discussions relating to general education assessment.  We frequently invited Sean McKitrick (new Assistant Provost for Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment) to attend our meetings and the EPPC Chair also held one-on-one meetings with Sean.  Our general view is that while it is impractical for the EPPC to be involved in day-to-day administration of assessment procedures, it is still essential for the committee to have a role in oversight of assessment issues.  Thus, the committee is very happy to have someone here in Sean’s role and also should continue to meet with him quite frequently.  Some of the discussion concerned four summary reports that were completed during the summer of 2006 (Critical Thinking and Information Management, Foreign Languages, Laboratory Sciences, and Oral Communication).  We also discussed some of the fundamental issues concerning how effective the assessment process is in measuring actual performance.  These included the degree of subjectivity in assessing student work, the difference in performance between classes where composition skills are assessed and classes where they are used but not directly measured, and the distinction between assessment reports going to the state and assessment for our own internal purposes.  We suggested to Sean McKitrick ways to summarize the results of assessment even more concisely (such as bulleted lists) and to pass those results on to the faculty and other parties who could most benefit from the information. 

 

Joint-degree Programs: We discussed with Nancy Stamp, Dean of the Graduate School, that although extensive review is not generally necessary for approving proposals for joint-degree programs, the role of the EPPC should nonetheless be taken seriously in this regard.  We approved joint-degree programs in French, Italian, Spanish, and physics. 

 

 


 


 

 

DATE:             May 15, 2007

TO:                  Faculty Senate

FROM:            Marilyn Gaddis Rose, interim chair, EOP Advisory Council

RE:                   Annual Report, 2006‑2007

 

Membership: Abimbola Allison, Mary X. Britten, Marilyn Gaddis Rose, Janet Hogan (fall 2006), Orlando Harris, Dina Maramba (for Leo Wilton), Mabiel Rodriguez, Wen Ruan, Kelvin Santiago Valles, Nancy Um, Vanessa N. Young

Ex‑officio: Donald Blake, Francine Montemurro, James Pogue, H. Stephen Straight

 

The EOP Advisory Council met four times during the academic year. In December its members helped with the interviewing of an additional academic advisor and Summer Program coordinator for the EOP Office. (Because of the mandated Council constituencies, finding acceptable meeting times was extremely difficult.) The interim chair met with Dr. Pogue after the final spring meeting to identify potential council members.

 

EOP Advisory Council chair Janet Hogan took retirement in December 2006, and the Faculty Senate appointed Marilyn Gaddis Rose to complete her term.

 

Thanks to the able leadership of James Pogue, EOP director, the Council could limit its activity to support and applause, especially with respect to his initiatives with Men of Color in Higher Education, Multicultural Explosion (April 27, 2007), and upcoming Summer Program. It was pleased to learn of the recruitment of alumni/ae and the addition of scholarship monies.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Marilyn Gaddis Rose

 

 



Intercollegiate Athletics Committee

2007 Report to Faculty Senate

 

June 15, 2007

Preface:

Binghamton University is committed to being a NCAA Division 1 institution.  The campus has two formal representative bodies, with partially overlapping membership and responsibilities, that deal with intercollegiate athletics.  The SUNY system requires that each campus have an Intercollegiate Athletics Board (IAB) that makes recommendations directly to the President.  The Intercollegiate Athletics Committee (IAC) was re-established by the Faculty Senate in 2001, with “the charge … to make recommendations and suggest policies to the Faculty Senate regarding the impact of intercollegiate athletics on academic standards and practices.”  The core questions for the IAC concern whether intercollegiate athletics are in keeping with the standards of quality and excellence that are the longstanding hallmark of Binghamton University.  In the campus self-study, submitted to NCAA, the existence of the two groups is cited as a healthy asset to the campus.

 

2006-2007 Activities of IAC

The IAC met once in the Fall semester and twice in the Spring Semester.  The Fall meeting reviewed the academic performance of student athletes in the Spring 2006 semester, and the criteria for compliance with NCAA regulations with current data.  The committee then toured the Academic Support facility in West Gym, discussing the nature and functioning of this facility with its key staff (Alicia Goode and Kim King).  The first Spring semester meeting reviewed the Fall 2006 academic performance of student athletes, then met with three Coaches (Annette Acuff, Sean Clark, Glenn Kiriyama), discussing views and perspectives on athletic demands, academic performance, and personal adjustment and well-being of the students on athletic teams.  The second meeting was with student athletes (Katie Robertson, Kristie Bowers, Anna Riordan, Zach Groh, Trevor Stone, and Brendan McGovern) who had responded to an invitation from Jim Norris to meet with the committee.  This meeting was an open discussion of the students’ perspective on the nature of their experience as student athletes her at Binghamton University. 

The overall academic performance of student athletes is very good, and even impressive.  This does not mean that there are no student-athletes that have had academic difficulty or that no student-athletes have transferred to other institutions, but the occurrence of these is relatively low in terms of expected the statistical probability for our campus.  More important, most student-athletes are doing well academically, and many are doing exceptionally well. 

It seems clear that Division 1 athletics on this campus does not suffer from the often publicized problems that afflict other campuses.  There is a real concern among the coaches for the personal well-being of the students on their team.  Although success in athletics is obviously important, so is academic success, adjustment to college life, coping with personal problems, and career development.   The Academic Support Facility has been developed and adaptively evolved, into an important, and widely appreciated, component to Binghamton’s Athletics.    Finally, the student-athletes interviewed were extremely positive about their well-rounded experience at Binghamton University.  Several noted that the hazing of new athletes, a rite of passage that, at least in the past, was prevalent at many institutions, is not tolerated here; instead, there is an atmosphere of support, with the coaches, support staff, and more senior athletes serving as mentors to help new students and to support each other.  Also noted was a sense of community involvement, with athletes from different teams supporting each other and a sense of accomplishment in being involved in activities that benefit the campus and the community in general.

 

Committee Conclusion:  Based upon an e-mail poll of committee members taken as an aspect reviewing the draft of this report, the committee concludes that, to the extent evaluated this year by the IAC, Intercollegiate Athletics at BU seems in keeping with the standards of quality and excellence that is the longstanding hallmark of the campus.

 

 

 

Richard E. Pastore, Chair

 

Other committee members:       Karen Bromley, Jim Stark, Stephen Boehm, Or Raitses, Joel Thirer, Suzi Howell, Dennis Lasser

 

Committee vacancies:  1 female undergraduate student, 1 male undergraduate student


2006-2007 Faculty Senate Intercollegiate Athletics Committee Report addendum

 

Grade Information on Student Athletes for Fall, 2006 Semester

 

For the 2006-7 academic year, the IAC has grade information only for the Fall 2006 semester (the information for the Spring 2007 semester should be available to this year’s committee) and did not gather specific information on the distribution of declared majors of student athletes.  If the FAEC wishes such information, I suggest that this be conveyed as a charge to this year’s committee.  The following is a summary of GPA information for the 383 student athletes for the Fall 2006 semester:

 

Average GPA:  3.00

Distribution:      3.50 and above:            110

                        3.00 to 3.49:                101

                        2.0 to 2.99:                  138

                        Below 2.0:                      34

 

GPA By Team: GPA                            Sport    Athletes

               High:                                     3.39     Women’s Cross Country                10

               Low:                                     2.63     Wrestling                                        23

               Some Major Sports:              3.01     Men’s Basketball                            12

                                                            3.05     Women’s Basketball                       12

                                                            2.91     Men’s Lacrosse                              34

                                                            3.20     Women’s Lacrosse                         24

                                                            3.14     Men’s Soccer                                 25

                                                            3.01     Women’s Soccer                            24

13 students had GPA of 4.00

Teams with more than one athlete with GPA < 2.0 for semester:

            Women’s Swimming and Diving                  6

Wrestling:                                                   4

Men’s Lacrosse                                          4

Softball                                                       3

Women’s Soccer                                        3

Men’s Soccer                                             2

Men’s Track & Field                                  2

 

Cumulative GPA < 2.0   Total of 19 athletes (most were Freshmen, a few Sophomores)

Teams with more than one athlete with Cumulative GPA < 2.0:

            Women’s Swimming and Diving                  5             out of 33

Wrestling:                                                   4             out of 24

Softball                                                       3             out of 15

Women’s Soccer                                        2             out of 24

 

 

 

Richard Pastore for IAC                                                                       October, 2007

 



 Annual Report 2006-07

Faculty Senate Library Committee

 

 

The committee spent most of its efforts this year in reviewing and considering the reports of a special internal committee of librarians (see below for membership listing) created by John Meador, Director of the Libraries, to review current financial allocations for collections and to recommend new practices.  This followed a presentation from the Director of the Libraries at Simon Fraiser University and a SPARC (Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition) meeting last year (see previous annual report) that provided background information for the present effort to modernize and correctly target the limited fiscal resources available to the libraries, so as to maximize the impact of the dollars spent on all types of collections, but particularly on scholarly journals. 

 

A listing of significant events, including the opening of an Information Commons in the Science Library, can be found in the Binghamton University Libraries’ newsletter, “LibraryLinks”, available at http://library.lib.binghamton.edu/librarylinks/index.html.  The remainder of this report is the Executive Summary of the report given by the Binghamton University Libraries Collections Budget Allocation Review Committee, which describes the outcome of the work on this important issue to date.  Consideration of the data in the full report and providing a student-and faculty-oriented response to it will likely be the main focus of the Faculty Senate Library Committee’s work in the 2007-08 academic year, especially items 4, 5, 6, & 7 (below).

 

Executive Summary

 

The Binghamton University Libraries Collections Budget Allocation Review Committee conducted its analysis between October 10, 2006 and May 8, 2007. This final and full report is submitted to the Director of Libraries for distribution through channels. The report includes the following recommendations:

 

1.      The Libraries should investigate methods of obtaining usage information for electronic resources and print serials at the level of departmental affiliation for faculty and graduate students as soon as possible.  These measurements should be included in future collection budget allocation reviews.

2.      The current funding structure of the Libraries’ collection budget, based on the departmental structure of the University, should be maintained for the time being. The Libraries should take a future opportunity to evaluate how its support of teaching and research should evolve structurally to match the evolution of the University as it moves towards its stated goal of a  more inter-disciplinary organizational model of curriculum and research.

3.      As new research and curricular programs form on campus, the Libraries should work with the faculty to assess the need for separate funding lines, either temporary or permanent, that cannot be met by the existing budget structure.

4.      The analysis of factors comparing library resources and expenditure measurements against university department measures indicates that there are campus programs that are underfunded.  Investigation and discussion of these results will continue. Any new funds added to the Libraries’ base budget above and beyond inflation should be used to address these areas. No existing levels of budgetary support should be lowered.

5.      Additions to the Libraries’ base budget should be part of proposals to establish new schools, departments and degree-granting programs at Binghamton University. The level of support needed should be determined by academic faculty and the Libraries working in consultation.

6.      The Libraries should work toward the establishment of budgeting mechanisms which will provide a source of funding within each annual budget for extraordinary and unanticipated needs beyond the capacity of existing departmental or program budgets.

7.      A task force of library and academic faculty should be established to inventory and evaluate the information resources provided on campus outside the Libraries.

The collection budget allocation review should be reviewed in five years.

 

Library Working Group

Edward Shephard, Chair

Katharine Bouman

Elizabeth Brown

Randall Miles

Erin Rushton

 

Members of Faculty Senate Library Committee, Fall 2006-Spring 2007:

Corrine Bertram, CCPA Human Development

Carrol Coates, French and Comparative Literature, Romance Languages

Jennifer Gordon, SEHD Division of Education

Gerald Kadish, History

Michael Lewis, Computer Science; Watson School of Engineering

Sara Maximiek, Libraries

Chris Motley, Std. Assoc. Representative

Ryan Wilichinsky, Std. Assoc. Representative

Seokyung Han , Grad. Std. Org. Representative

Michael McGoff, Vice Provost, Academic Affairs

John Meador, Director of Libraries

Peter Gerhardstein, Psychology, Library Committee Chair


 

 

 


 

 

 

M E M O R A N D U M

 

Date:               May 11, 2007 

 

To:                  Faculty Senate

 

From:              Sandra D. Michael

                        Chair, Professional Standards Committee

 

Subject:           06/07 Annual Report

 

 

 

Five cases were referred to the Professional Standards Committee during the 06/07 academic year:

 

  • Two cases were referred to more appropriate campus units.
  • Three cases were fully reviewed by the Committee.  In one case the PSC advised that there is no effective resolution available.  In two cases the PSC made recommendations in the hopes that similar situations would not occur in the future. 

 

 

CC  Committee Members: 

 

Professors  Masha Britten (Nursing), Marilyn Gaddis Rose (Comparative Literature), Arieh Ullmann (Management), John Vestal (Theatre)  

 



Report of the University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 2006-2007

During the 2006-07 academic year the UUCC continued its normal work of certifying courses that meet the Binghamton University General Education requirements and deciding on student petitions related to General Education.

 

Additional activities of the committee included:

 

1.         The Committee met with Sean McKitrick regarding assessment of General Education.   The Committee also considered a report by the EPPC on assessment issues.   One of the issues that emerged from this discussion was that a note about information technology that became associated with C courses at the time General Education requirements at Binghamton were changed to accommodate state-wide General Education guidelines poses a problem.  The note is somewhat misleading as not all C courses provide instruction in these skills, and the original intent was that critical thinking/information management skills be infused throughout the General Education curriculum.  The UUCC asked the Faculty Senate to remove the following note from the C requirement – “Students will perform the basic operations of personal computer use; understand and use basic research techniques; and locate, evaluate and synthesize information from a variety of sources” – and instead to place it with the overall notes to the Gen Ed curriculum.  This change was voted at the Faculty Senate meeting of May 8, 2007.   (See http://facultysenate.binghamton.edu/2006-2007/May82007/gen%20ed%20C%20change.htm for specific details of the change.)

 

2.   The Committee held a discussion session on the Aesthetics requirement with faculty members from various departments who have submitted courses for the “A” designation.   The discussion centered on whether the current wording and interpretation of the “A” requirement was consistent with state-wide guidelines.  The main issue was how narrowly to interpret the concept of aesthetic experience.  For example, does an aesthetic experience mean students have to create something, or can they study the creative experience in some medium such as art, music, theatre or film?  The Committee concluded that the concept of aesthetic experience should continue to be broadly interpreted, so as to accommodate a set of diverse courses and experiences.

 

The Committee would like to express its gratitude to Liz Abate, the University's Coordinator of General Education and Assistant for Undergraduate Education, for the essential assistance and coordination she constantly provided to the committee over the course of the entire year.

 

The 2006-07 Report on University-Wide (UNIV) Course Offerings, required by the Faculty Senate Executive Committee, is attached to this report.

 

2006-07 UUCC Committee Members:


Liz Abate        

Don Blake

Kate Bouman

Masha Britten

Melissa Dennihy (student)

Lisa Hrehor (Spring)

Wayne Jones   

Rebecca Kaufman (student)

Les Lander

Rosemarie Lavalva

Stan Masters
Sara Reiter, Chair

Jim Stark 

H. Stephen Straight

Anna Tan-Wilson      

JJ Van Hoff (Fall)


Report on University-Wide (UNIV) Course Offerings

2006-07 Academic Year

 

 

No courses were offered under the University-wide (UNIV) rubric during the 2006-2007 academic year.

 

 

Courses offered under the SCHL rubric

 

Because most of the UNIV courses offered in recent years have been Binghamton Scholars courses, the UUCC asked that the Scholars Program seek its own rubric for use beginning with the 2006-2007 academic year.  Beginning with Fall 2006, the SCHL rubric was used for these courses.  Based on precedent established by the Faculty Senate for the UUCC's oversight of GSIC courses (see below), the UUCC adopted the following procedures for the use of the SCHL rubric:

 

  • Any new SCHL courses that are created would need to be approved by the UUCC, using the same mechanism and process used for UNIV courses.
  • Once courses are approved by the UUCC, the Binghamton Scholars Program needs to submit the following information prior to building courses in CICS each semester:
    1. For approved regular courses SCHL 127, 227, and 395, each semester the program is required to send the UUCC a list of the courses they plan to offer.  No descriptions are necessary.
    2. If the program plans to offer SCHL 280 topics courses, the UUCC will review a course description and approve it for offering.
    3. Finally, once the courses have been approved by the UUCC, the Binghamton Scholars Program handles all course creation in the CICS Master and all course-building.

 

 

Course

Title

Instructor

Enrollment

Fall 2006

 

SCHL 127

Discovering the Scholar Within

G. Catalano, Watson School and Binghamton Scholars

47

SCHL 227

Leadership and Achieving Goals

F. Montemurro, Ombudsman

M. Chester, Judicial Affairs

J. Horowitz, Residential Life

G. Johansen, Alcohol and Other Drug Problems

B. McCane-Saunders, Health Services

46 total in 5 sections

SCHL 280A

Peace

G. Catalano, Watson School and Binghamton Scholars

23

SCHL 280C

Energy and You

J. Fillo, Watson School

4

SCHL 280D

Great Ideas in Physics (also listed as PHYS 115)

R. Pompi, Physics

14

SCHL 280E

Revolutions of the Heart

G. Catalano, Watson School and Binghamton Scholars

9

SCHL 280F

Plato and Aristotle

A. Preus, Philosophy

6

SCHL 280G

Literature of Peace and Conflict (also listed as ENG 283R)

L. Rosenberg, English

17

SCHL 395

Scholars III: Worlds of Experience

Staff

G. Catalano, Watson School and Binghamton Scholars

7

Spring 2007

 

SCHL 227

Leadership and Achieving Goals

M. Chester, Judicial Affairs

G. Johansen, Alcohol and Other Drug Programs

J. Horowitz, Residential Life

E. Carter, Discovery Program and Binghamton Scholars

F. Montemurro, Ombudsman

B. McCane-Saunders, Health Services

64 total in 6 sections

SCHL 280B

Peaceable Kingdom

F. Montemurro, Ombudsman

12

SCHL 280D

Great Ideas of Physics

R. Pompi, Physics

13

SCHL 280E

Modern Satire (also listed as ENG 380V)

M. Conlon, English

22

SCHL 395

Scholars III: Worlds of Experience

E. Carter, Discovery Program and Binghamton Scholars

1

Summer 2007

 

SCHL 280E

Revolutions of the Heart

G. Catalano, Watson School

and Binghamton Scholars

14 (Term II course; 14 enrolled as of 6/8/07)

 

 

 

Courses offered under the GLST rubric

 

In February, 2003, the Faculty Senate approved an amendment to the guidelines for University-wide policies to allow the use of additional rubrics for University-wide courses.  Under this policy, the Global Studies Integrated Curriculum (GSIC) is allowed to use the rubric "GLST" to identify its cross-listed courses that have a home in an existing school or department. Any courses in the GSIC program taught as standalone courses will be submitted to the UUCC for approval as UNIV courses, subject to the provisions for approval of such courses. No GLST courses were offered during the 2006-2007 academic year.



 

 

 

MEMORANDUM

 

 

DATE:             August 30, 2007

 

TO:                  Faculty Senate

 

FROM:            Mary Ann Swain, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and

 

Chair of ACET Committee

Committee Members:  James Van Voorst, John Vestal, Karen Salvage, Kenneth Chu, Kenneth Kurtz, Mark Reed, Michael Schiffman (SA President), Nael Abu-Ghazaleh, Rumiko Sode, Sandra Card, Stephen Gilje, Yong Jin Kim

 

RE:                   Academic Computing & Educational Technology (ACET)

                        Annual Report for AY 2006-7

 

Please accept the attached report on activities, initiatives, and accomplishments for academic year 2006-07 for Academic Computing & Educational Technology (ACET).  The diligent work of the committee is reflected in the highlights of this report, with many changes, upgrades and expansions (University Downtown Center) of note.

 

/dd


Annual Report for AY 2006-7

 

Academic Computing & Educational Technology (ACET) Committee

 

 

During the Fall of  2006, the ACET committee reviewed a draft revision of the “Long-Range Information Technology Plan – 2006”, presented by Information Technology Services out of efforts of the previous year’s “Futures” subcommittee.   The Plan was reviewed.  In general, the plan was favorably accepted though revisions were proposed.  However, completion of the Plan was deferred while a consulting study of ITS by CTG Consulting was conducted.  CTG made several recommendations in a report delivered in late Spring of 2007.  The appropriate  recommendations will be worked in to a new draft of the Long-Range Plan in the Fall of 2007.

 

During the Spring of 2007, the ACET committee organized itself into two working subcommittees:  “Communications” and “Applications”. 

 

The “Communications” subcommittee continued review of how information about services available through ITS could be better communicated across campus.  The subcommittee made four recommendations to the ACET.  They are:

 

  • The ITS “frequently-asked-questions” (FAQ’s) developed last year should be updated and expanded
  • ITS should develop a system status page to provide status and updates in one place for users
  • ITS should resurrect the “Bits and Bites” periodic seminars on topics of interest to students, faculty and staff
  • ACET should develop a “Technology STAR” program to recognize and award innovative uses of technology on campus. 

 

A copy of the Communications subcommittee’s report is attached.

 

The “Applications” subcommittee developed and conducted a survey of faculty with the goal of discovering what software would be most beneficial in teaching, research and general productivity applications.  Almost 50 faculty responded, and plans were made to conduct a follow-up survey in the Fall of 2007.  A summary of the subcommittee’s activities is attached.

 

Other initiatives involving the ACET

 

While the subcommittees’ activities constituted the main work of the ACET for the year, the ACET also dealt with, reviewed and/or sponsored other initiatives during the year for the benefit of faculty, staff and students.

 

  • Email:  The ACET reviewed the Mirapoint package, which was selected to replace the campus’ ageing Cyrus email system, following an RFP process involving multiple vendors.  Mirapoint was reviewed with the ACET, and at the ACET’s suggestion by the faculty Senate Executive Committee.  The new system’s installation is planned for late September, 2007
  • Following a retirement in ITS, the position of Assistant Director of Academic Computing – Research became vacant.  ITS reviewed plans to work with the Research Division and Graduate School to develop and present to faculty in the Fall, 2007, models for how technical support for faculty research might be better organized.  That project is underway.
  • A pilot project in Educational Communications to provide distance learning via recording and subsequent on-demand, video streaming of selected classes was reviewed.  So far, one class each in Fall 2007, Spring and Summer of 2007 have been developed this way.
  • The PODS committee recommended not upgrading the pods to VISTA (Microsoft’s new operating system) for Fall, because of reliability and compatibility problems with existing applications and other Windows versions.  However, at the committee’s request ITS installed a compatibility module which will allow files created in VISTA or older versions of windows to be read by both versions in the pods.
  • Other news:
    • The University Downtown Center (UDC) will bring 9 new state-of-the-art classrooms into the University inventory.  In addition, the UDC will include an Information Commons, a computer pod/classroom, a portable “laptop” classroom and a new graduate laboratory.
    • Blackboard was to be upgraded during the summer, and Blackboard authentication will use the network authentication so passwords will be the same.  Once the new email package is installed, all three passwords will be the same.
    • The campus’ internet connection has been upgraded from 155 Megabits/second to 200 Megabits/second.   At the same time the protocols have been changed to allow simple increases in capacity as they become needed.   This extra capacity will be coupled with the ability to automatically limit voracious users of network bandwidth to make more consistent speeds available to all campus users.
    • The University’s Internet2 connection is likewise being changed to increase to 200 Mb/second, and to allow additional 200 Mb/second virtual private networks to other SUNY schools to be opened almost on-demand.  This provides extraordinary capacity for research and education users.

 

 

 


 

 

 

 


COMMITTEE FOR THE UNIVERSITY ENVIRONMENT

ANNUAL REPORT 2006-2007

 

            The Committee held 5 meetings this year.  Active members included Don Brister, Michal Cutler, Shelley Dionne, Joseph Graney, Sarah Lam, Ralph Miller, Julian Shepherd (Chair), (faculty members), James VanVoorst (VP Administration and Vice Chair),  Juliet Berling (Environmental Ombudsperson), Rene Coderre (Residential Life), Grace Hoefner (Professional Staff ), Dylan Horvath (Natural Areas Steward), and Wayne Schneider (Physical Facilities).  Invited guests were: Kelly Donovan (Envi Health & Safety), Katie Ellis (Univ Communications), and Sandy DeJohn (Utilities Manager).

 

           Our major business this year included (1) review of alternative means of transportation to, on , and from Campus, (2) review of energy usage on Campus, (3) review of BU construction activities, (4) support and participation in Natural Areas developments, (5) review of recycling and pesticide use on Campus, (6) University action for mitigation of climate change.

 

1.        Transportation to and on Campus.  The Committee reviewed in particular plans for use of shuttles and other transportation to and from the new ITC and downtown campuses.  In response to the increase in gas prices, the Committee worked on development of a website at the University to facilitate ride-sharing to and from Campus.

 

2.        Review of Energy Usage on Campus.  Sarah DeJohn, Utilities Manager for the University, gave a presentation on energy usage, conservation strategies, and energy aspects of construction by the University.  The Committee will revisit this in subsequent years to track progress.

 

3.        Review of University Construction Activity.  The Committee reviewed plans for renovation of some of the athletic fields, mitigation of flood damage by Fuller Hollow Creek, and preliminary plans for the reconstruction of Dickinson and Newing Colleges.

 

4.        Natural Areas, Earth Day, and Campus Cleanup.  The Committed completed a policy for protection of green space on Campus.  This has been forwarded to administrative personnel for consideration for adoption.

 

5.        Recycling Programs and Pesticide Use on Campus.  CUE reviewed recycling activities on Campus. It

       also reviewed the annual pesticide report from the Physical Plant.

 

6.   University Initiative for Mitigation of Climate Change.  CUE resolved to contact the President about

      signing onto the University Presidents’ Climate Change Initiative.

 

Submitted by Julian Shepherd, Chair

 

 



Faculty Senate Committee on Committees Annual Report

2006-2007

 

Committee members:

Elizabeth Brown, Libraries, Chair

Celia Klin, Psychology
Manoj Agarwal, School of Management
Beth Burch, Education
Nancy Appelbaum, History
Leslie Lander, Computer Science
Nicholas Kaldis, GREAL

Les Lander, Watson School, Computer Science

 

The committee met in the Fall semester (September 23, 2007) to select a chair. Elizabeth Brown agreed to serve as chair for the year. Discussion also centered on soliciting interested faculty for the newly reformed Assessment Category Teams and identifying faculty to fill several Faculty Senate committee vacancies. The remainder of the fall semester was spent identifying faculty willing to serve on these Assessment Category Teams.

 

The committee met a second time in the spring semester (February 23, 2007) to fill Faculty Senate committees for those faculty whose terms are ending. The remainder of the semester was spent in communication with faculty to fill positions. 

 

Vacancies which remained on Faculty Senate committees for 2007/2008 are:

Bylaws Review Committee, member and chair

University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, 2 members plus additional vacancy from SEHD restructuring

 

Vacancies which remained on the Assessment Category Teams are:

Aesthetics, 2 members

Social Science, 1 member

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Elizabeth Brown, Chair


 


Department of Bioengineering

Thomas J. Watson School

of Engineering and Applied Science

 

PO Box 6000

Binghamton, New York 13902-6000

(607) 777-5779; Fax: (607) 777-5780

Web: bioeng.binghamton.edu

 
 

 

 

 


Date:                October 17, 2007

 

To:                   Faculty Senate Executive Committee

 

From:               Kenneth J. McLeod, Chair

Faculty Senate Evaluation Coordinating Committee

 

Subject:            06/07 Annual Report

 

The FSECC met three times during the year (with additional meetings conducted electronically).  In its initial meeting the committee reviewed the process by which administrators are selected for review and determined that it would be appropriate to develop a methodical process for this important task.  To that end, the committee proposed a working rule that administrators should be reviewed within three years of being appointed to an administrative post, and thereafter, reviews should be conducted on a five year interval. 

 

Applying this algorithm, the committee identified three administrators who were three years or more into their appointment and had never been reviewed by the FSECC.  These included:

Upinder Dhillon, Dean of SOM

John Meador, Director of Libraries

Nancy Stamp, Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School

 

In addition, a review of the Dean of Harpur College was in progress from the preceding year, but as Dean Mileur elected to step down during the academic year, this review was terminated.

 

The faculty of the SOM had recently reviewed Dr. Dhillon, and the FSECC agreed to accept this review as meeting the obligation of the Faculty Senate and this review was submitted to the Faculty Senate Executive Committee.

 

The Library staff completed an evaluation survey for John Meador.  However, as Director Meador did not have time to complete a Statement of Accomplishments before the end of the semester, this review was extended into the 2006-7 academic year.

 

The committee received a Statement of Accomplishments from Dean Stamp, and prepared an evaluation survey for Dean Stamp based on this statement.  The statement and survey were delivered to the Computer Center in April, however, the Center was unable to electronically distribute the survey prior to the end of the academic year.  It was agreed that the survey would be distributed by the Center at the start of the 2007-8 academic year. In recent correspondence with the Center the committee was informed that the survey would likely be distributed to the faculty by the end of October 2007.

 

Committee Members:

 

A Serder Atav – (DSON)

Sandra Card (Libraries)

Subimal Chatterjee (SOM)

Kenneth McLeod (Watson)

H. Richard Naslund (Harpur)

Jean Schmittau (SED)

Andrew Scholtz (Harpur)

Pamela Smart (Harpur)

 

 

Sincerely,

 

 

 

 

Kenneth J. McLeod, PhD

Professor and Chair,

Email: kmcleod@binghamton.edu

 



INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETIC BOARD

2006 –2007 Annual Report

 

                The Intercollegiate Athletic Board met three times during the 2006-2007 academic year.  As is customary the athletic director and his staff kept the board abreast on the progress of the athletic teams, recruiting of athletes and coaches, on facilities management and improvements, the operating budget and team performances.  The main agenda item for the year was a review of the Activity fee. Currently, the activity fee is $190/semester. There is a scheduled $10/semester increase for the 2007-08 academic year. The committee decided to recommend to the President that the $10/semster incresese be extended to a period from 2008-09 through 2012-13.  The recommendation was passed along to the President in May. Enclosed are the minutes from the three meetings held this year.

 

 

IAB, 2006-2007

Matt Bassett, Associate Director of Athletics (ex officio without vote)

Kim King, Senior Woman’s Administrator (ex officio without vote)

Richard Marmolejos , male athlete (2006-2007)

Neil Rose, Alumnus (2004-2006)

President Student Association (ex officio) (2005-06)

Gayathri Balasundar, student male athlete (2006-2007)

Dennis Lasser, SOM, Faculty rep to the NCAA (Chair) (ex officio)

Steve Dickman, Geology (2004-06)

Dick Pastore, Psychology (2006-08)

Mike Lewis, Faculty (2005-2007)

Financial Vice President, Student Association (ex officio)

Norman Spear, Psychology (2006-08)

Terry Webb, Vice President of Administration (ex officio)

Joel Thirer, Director, PERA (ex officio without vote)

Sandra Michael, Biology (2006-2008)

Kris Yelverton, Student (2006-2007)

Jonathan Platt, Student (2006-07)

 


Intercollegiate Athletics Board Meeting

October 18, 2006 – Events Center

 

Present:  Matt Bassett, Kim King, Dennis Lasser, Mike Lewis, Richard Marmolejos, Sandra Michael, Dick Pastore, Michael Schiffman, Skip Spear, Joel Thirer

 

Dennis Lasser updated the group on his meeting with President DeFleur.  Dennis meets with President DeFleur once per semester.  They discussed:

-                      Student behavior and participation at athletic events;

-                      New Athletic facilities as they pertain to student welfare initiatives

-                      America East conference priorities and the level of importance the sports of basketball, lacrosse and soccer play within the conference.

 

 

Dennis Lasser gave the group a report on academics within Athletics.

-                      The Academic Review Committee did not meet yet this semester, but Dennis spent time with Associate Athletic Director, Tim Fenton, to discuss the academic progress of student-athletes.  The overall GPA was 2.97 last year.  Dennis has set a goal of raising the GPA when he met with the coaching staff, but overall academics remain status quo for student-athletes.

 

Matt Bassett spoke about the Fan Behavior Committee:

-                      Last spring the Fan Behavior Committee began meeting.  Time was spent educating committee members regarding the Athletic department activities and events (best practices for our campus).  The committee is broad-based and discussions have centered around opportunities for students to attend athletic functions and appropriate behavior at athletic events.  The committee has participated in planning initiatives.

o        October 28, 2006, Hoopfest will be conducted in the Events Center with activities to include a basketball clinic for children, autograph session, inter-squad scrimmage and BU Zoo registration at a bar-b-que that afternoon.

o        NOTE:  The BU Zoo is being charted by the Student Association for the first time.

-                      Joel Thirer commented that the department is working positively and dealing aggressively with general student body behavior at athletic department events.

 

Joel Thirer spoke about America East Conference news and gave fall sports teams updates:

-                      The America East Conference has identified three areas of priority sports, the first being basketball.  The Conference has set new standards for the priority sports.  Binghamton meets or exceeds these new standards for basketball.  Binghamton also has the leading attendance rates in the Conference.  Some schools will be required to upgrade their facilities, etc., to meet the new standards.

-                      The second priority sport for the Conference is soccer.  Binghamton remains competitive in the sport of soccer…the men’s team ranked 36 in the nation last year but did not receive an at-large bid.  This fall soccer is doing well competitively.

-                      The third priority sport for the Conference is lacrosse.  The Binghamton men’s team is very competitive and the women’s team is not quite as competitive as yet.

o        Team Updates

§         Men’s Soccer – tournament takes place in two weeks

§         Women’s Soccer – is in 3rd place currently, may finish in 2nd place in the conference

§         Volleyball – tied for 1st place

§         Cross Country – doing well

§         Golf – had a very good fall season

§         Men’s Tennis – had a very good fall season

§         Women’s Tennis – also had a very good fall season

 

Kim King spoke about student welfare initiatives and new facilities:

-                      This fall the Athletic Department opened a new Student Athlete Success Center in the West Gym.

-                      In addition to opening this new facility, we hired additional staff.  We now have a total of three full time staff members, one part time staff member, two graduate assistants and six peer interns in the student services area of Athletics.  These staff members are responsible for advising, supporting a student-athlete leadership institute, initiating programming and outreach and developing career-based programs.

o        Dick Pastore reported that Kim King and Alicia Goode attended a Faculty Senate meeting and spoke about the student welfare initiatives and facilities.

-                      The Success Center is very busy and activities there are going very well.  Each team has an academic advisor and the Center also has walk-in advising hours.

-                      Holly Brown has joined the Student Success Center staff, concentrating on community outreach projects and tracking.  Some outreach projects include:

o        St. Jude’s letter writing campaign

o        Habitat for Humanity

o        Special Olympics

o        Breast Cancer Walk

o        Summer 2006 Flood Relief Efforts

 

New Business:

 

-                      Committee membership:

o        Academic Review:  Dennis Lasser, Skip Spear, Sandra Michael, Steve Dickman, one student-athlete

o        Gender Equity:  Dennis Lasser, Terry Webb, Dick Pastore

o        Budget Review:  Dennis Lasser, Mike Shiffman, Matt Bassett, Sandra Michael, Richard Marmolejos

 


Intercollegiate Athletics Board Meeting

March 6, 2007 – Events Center

 

Present:  Gayathri Balasundar, Tim Fenton, Kim King, Dennis Lasser, Mike Lewis, Sandra Michael, Dick Pastore, Jonathan Platt, Joel Thirer, Kris Yelverton

 

-                      Notes from the October 2006 meeting were distributed and reviewed.

 

Dennis Lasser gave a report on Fall 2006 athletes’ academics:

 

-                      The fall teams did well with GPAs up to 3.0; an increase from the prior semester.  Men’s soccer had one of the highest GPAs in the country.

-                      Men’s basketball did very well with a 15-year high overall GPA.

-                      The number of student-athletes with 4.0 averages is higher than the University number of students with 4.0’s.

-                      There were a few freshmen with low GPAs (one wrestler and three women’s swim team members).   The student on the wrestling team is working hard and his grades should improve with the next semester’s report; for the women’s swim team members, one student is a practice player, one is leaving Binghamton University and one is working hard to improve her grades.

-                      Overall, the team GPAs were very good.

 

Sandra Michael asked about the America East Academic cup.  Joel Thirer replied that a 3.1 was the number one GPA in the Conference and Binghamton was at 2.94.

 

Tim Fenton spoke about the APR (Academic Progress Rate).  The APR is designed to be a snapshot of how well scholarship athletes are performing academically, with a look toward retention eligibility.  Students can earn four APR points, two each semester, for eligibility retention.  Binghamton University will report 4th year data at the end of this academic year to the NCAA.  From 1st year to the present, most teams have made significant improvement.  We have one program below the cut (wrestling), and the wrestling team had extenuating circumstances.  Coach Popolizio is sensitive to academic success and the APR and the team is expected to improve in the future.

 

Dick Pastore asked how the department is responding to the students with grades less than a 2.0 with regard to advising at registration.  Kim King spoke about the Student Success Center and how each student has an academic advisor who works closely with the athletes with lower GPAs.  The Center has programming and tutors to provide extended help when necessary.  Kim also spoke about the focus of advising students are registration.

 

Dennis Lasser asked for an athlete welfare report.  Kim King spoke about community outreach efforts made by the teams:

 

-                      Each team participates in community outreach.  The athletic teams also participate in SAAC and Peer Pride.  These organizations have set up committees for community outreach activities.  Past activities included St. Jude’s fundraisers and this spring will include a Habitat for Humanity (which is a Conference-wide effort) outreach program.  The students have also organized bottle drivers.  Many more students are becoming involved in fundraising efforts.

 

Kris Yelverton mentioned the hope of growing the St. Jude’s fundraising program.  So far, the athletes have raised $30,000 for this effort and the St. Jude’s organization is supporting a celebratory dinner for the students who participated.  Kris would like to include the Greek organizations and the Residential Life communities in future fundraising efforts so that it will be larger next year.

 

Sandra Michael asked how Athletics advertises the outreach efforts of the student-athletes.  Sandra suggested trying to have our athletes featured in the local Press & Sun-Bulletin (similar to how local high school athletes have been featured).  Joel responded that John Hartrick is our point person with the media and that John provides releases to all media outlets.  Kim King provides John with information regarding outreach projects and John compiles press releases on an on-going basis. 

 

Dick Pastore asked whether local sports casters could meet with each of our teams or coaches one-on-one to build relationships with the television media.  Dennis responded that perhaps we could propose the idea of “BU Athlete of the Week” to broadcasters.

 

Dennis Lasser asked for a report on the Student Services area.  Kim King responded:

 

-                      The Student Success Center is being utilized very well by the student-athletes.  The students seem to really enjoy this new area.  There is open access to advisors and the students take advantage of that access.

-                      Joel commented that the department will be undertaking a renovation of the West Gym weight room.  The current weight room will be relocated to the locker room area in the West Gym and that space will be renovated into classroom space which will be shared between HPE and Student Services.

 

Dennis asked for an update on athletics teams.  Joel reported the following:

 

-                      Rory Quiller placed second in the pole vault at the NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships and earned All-America honors.

-                      Two athletes in the NCAA Championships:  Josh Patterson, wrestling, and David Holmes, swimming.

-                      Teams have had mixed results.  The success level of some of the teams is determined by the financial support given to them.

-                      We were pleased with the wrestling season.

-                      Women’s basketball had a building year

-                      Men’s basketball’s overall win/loss record not what we had hoped for, although the season definitely had some highlights.

-                      Spring sports are beginning their seasons. 

 

Sandra Michael asked for an update on the Head Men’s Basketball Coach search.  Joel responded:

 

-                      We have had many good coach candidates apply for this position.  We hope to make an appointment within the next few weeks.  We’re looking for a good fit for the department and the University,

 

Joel provided an update on the search for a Senior Associate Athletic Director:

 

-                      We have invited three individuals to campus to interview for this position.  We hope to make an appointment within the next few weeks.

 

Jonathan Platt asked for an update on the America East Conference.  Joel replied:

 

-                      Commissioner Patrick Nero is working on building the Conference.  Campus presidents ultimately make decisions on who will be invited to join the conference.  Currently there are conversations going on with two schools, and this is an ongoing process and no one will be invited to join for this coming year.  The Conference is not anticipating losing any members.  Men’s basketball is a high profile sport for the Conference and the basketball programs within the Conference will need to improve in order to attract new members to the Conference.  Some schools will need to upgrade their basketball programs.  The America East Conference would like to increase to include 12 schools.

 

Jonathan asked about local television coverage.  Joel replied that the Conference determines how many games will be produced.  The Conference doubled the amount of coverage this past year.  Albany was picked 1st; we were seeded 6th.  The cost of producing one game is $25,000.  We would like to co-produce road games with the other school involved.

 

Dennis Lasser spoke about the student (athletics) activity fee.

 

-                      This committee makes a recommendation to the President regarding the Athletics activity fee.  We would like to raise this fee by $10 each academic year for the next five years.  Dennis will call a meeting of the Budget Committee to discuss this issue so that a recommendation could be made to President DeFleur in the fall.  Dennis will provide data to the committee comparing Binghamton University fees to other conference schools.

-                      Joel commented that Athletic Fee consistency is important to the department in order to stay current with inflation levels of transportation, housing, meals, etc.  This fee is very important to financial solvency of the Athletics program.


-                       

Intercollegiate Athletics Board Meeting

April 27, 2007 – Events Center

 

Present:  Steve Dickman, Tim Fenton, Kim King, Dennis Lasser, Sandra Michael, Christopher Powell, Skip Spear, Joel Thirer

 

-                      Notes from the March 2007 meeting were distributed and reviewed.

 

Dennis Lasser reviewed the audited (Piaker & Lyons) Intercollegiate Athletics Department budget from last academic year.

 

-                      Joel Thirer provided a handout of the audited budget and spoke about the various categories within the budget.  This next fiscal year will be more challenging because expenses will increase.

 

-                      Joel commented that there is a projected increase in ticket sales and marketing monies next year.

 

Dennis initiated discussion about the Athletic Fee and provided fee history for the group.

 

-                      Joel explained how Athletic Fee monies are spent, with obligations to both men’s and women’s sports being met.  An adjustment in athletic fees is necessary for the increased expenses of housing, meal costs, etc.

 

-                      Dennis spoke about the history of the Athletic Fee.  This fee is one of several fees that all undergraduate students are required to pay.  Next academic year (2007-08) the fee will be $200 per semester.  Now is the time the group needs to consider the future structure.  The State mandates that fees can only increase 5% per year.  The Finance Committee would propose that from 2008-09 to 2012-13 that the fee increase $10 per semester.

 

-                      Joel handed out information indicating the benefits that undergraduates receive for paying the Athletic Fee.  It was noted that other SUNY campuses have more students paying the fee.  At Albany the fee is $185 per semester and at Stonybrook the fee is $195 per semester.  Both of those fees will increase next year.  Also, Buffalo’s graduate students pay an athletic fee, which is the highest among the SUNY schools.

 

-                      The next step is for the IAB to send a fee recommendation to President DeFleur.

 

-                      Sandra Michael motion that the Athletic Fee increase by $10 per semester for the next five years.  The motion passed unanimously.  Dennis will forward the group’s recommendation to the President.

 

 

Joel spoke about next year’s men’s and women’s basketball tournament bids.

 

-                      We have forwarded bids for both the men’s and the women’s basketball tournaments for next year.  The bid for 2009 is due in approximately one month’s time.

 

-                      We should be informed within the next few weeks if we will host either of the tournaments next year.

 

Joel gave an update on position searches.

 

-                      We have filled the position of Senior Associate Athletic Director.  Jason Siegel has accepted our offer and will begin work on May 1st.  Jason comes to us from the New Jersey Devils organization where he was their Vice President for marketing.

 

Skip Spear asked about recruiting for men’s basketball.

 

-                      Joel commented that the new coach, Kevin Broadus, is working hard on recruitment activities.  Three young men have signed letters of intent and we have verbal commitment from another young man.

 

 

New Business:

 

  • Dennis mentioned that faculty members on the IAB should be assigned on a rotating basis and asked the faculty members present if they would like to step down from the committee commitment.  They should let Dennis know their intentions for next year.

 

  • Dennis also mentioned that the America East Commissioner has invited him to be considered to chair the conference FAR group.  All campus FARs would vote on this appointment.  If Dennis is accorded this position, he would like another faculty member to Chair the IAB and Dennis asked the faculty present to consider the Chair position.