Spring 1996 Seminar Schedule
- Feb. 2, Steve Good (SUNY Cortland)
- "Early Tertiary Lacustrine Systems of the Eastern Great Basin:
Molluscan Evidence of Eocene Tensional Tectonics"
- Feb. 16, Jeff Barker (SUNY Binghamton)
- "Numerical Modeling of Earthquake Ground Motion Amplification"
- Feb. 26, Bartle Lecture:John Grotzinger (MIT)
- "Tectonic and climatic controls on the development of foreland basins
and orogenic belts, Wopmay and Thelon Orogens, Northwest Canada"
- Feb. 27, Bartle Lecture:John Grotzinger (MIT)
- "The emergence of multicellular animals: calibrating the rates of early
- Feb. 28, Bartle Lecture:John Grotzinger (MIT)
- "Anomalous carbonates: is the Precambrian the key to the Permian"
- Mar. 8, Alan Jones (SUNY Binghamton)
- Mar. 15 Eugenie Scott (National Center for Science Education )
- "The Evolution of Creationism: Antievolution in the 1990s"
- Mar. 15, Art Palmer (SUNY Oneonta)
- "Caves of the Arid Southwest -- Strange Geochemical Environments"
- Apr. 12, Jay Fleisher (SUNY Oneonta)
- "Rapid changes in a dynamic ice contact environment, Bering Glacier, Alaska"
- Apr. 19, Jonathan Lees (Yale University)
- "Tomographic Analysis: Anatomy of the Coso Geothermal Field"
- Apr. 26, Alexandra Moore (Hartwick College)
- "Virtual Field Trips and other Web Applications in Geoscience Education"
- May 10, Kiyotaka Ishida (Kyushu University, Japan)
- "Some Aspects of the Culture and Geology of Japan"
- May 15, Oleg Pinous (U. New Hampshire)
- "Quantified Sea-level History
for the Middle Jurassic through Cretaceous based on Russian
Platform and Siberian Stratigraphy"
Fall 1996 Seminar Schedule
- Sep. 13, Sean Willett (Penn State)
- "Mountain building and erosion: a critical balance"
- Sep. 20, Tracy Rushmer (U. Vermont)
- "Melt segregation in the lower crust: an experimental investigation"
- Sep. 27, Karen Kohfeld (Lamont)
- "Paleo-oceanography from the perspective of a single cell: Planktonic
foraminifera as tracers of polar ocean conditions"
- Oct. 4, Rick Cheel (Brock U.)
- "Hummocky cross-stratification and coarse-grained ripples:
what we think we know about ancient storm deposits
- Oct. 11, Ben Levy
- Hydraulic characterization of hazardous waste sites
- Oct. 18, John Pelletier (Cornell U.)
- Stochastic modeling of complex earth systems (including
- Nov. 8, Rudy Slingerland (Penn State)
- Sedimentology/tectonics and climate
- Nov. 15, Dick Naslund (SUNY Binghamton)
- "The origin of magnetite lavas at El Laco, Chile"
- Nov. 22, Jeff Over (SUNY Geneseo)
- "Extinctions and impacts: the record for the Frasnian/Famennian
boundary (late Devonian)"
- Dec. 6, Chris McRoberts (SUNY Binghamton)
- Dec. 13, Lou Derry (Cornell U.)
- Geochemical studies of Himalayan erosion
Last Updated: 6/14/11