The New York State Education Department (NYSED) Dignity for All Students Act requires that all students applying for certification after December 31, 2013, complete 6 hours of training regarding the social patterns of harassment, bullying, and discrimination. Binghamton's DASA training will consist of 6 hours face-to face instruction.
Under DASA, this training is needed so that professionals meet the Commissioner's Regulations for anyone applying for an administrative or supervisory service, classroom teaching service or school service certificate or license on or after January 1, 2014. Successful completion of this course will meet the certification requirements in §14(5) of Chapter 102 of the Laws of 2012. More information about the Dignity for All Students Legislation may be found at: http://www.p12.nysed.gov/dignityact/.
There are five key components that will be covered in this course in preparing educational professionals for harassment, bullying and discrimination prevention and intervention:
1. Understanding the intent components, and operational definitions of the Dignity Act.
2. Developing sensitivity to the experience of specific student populations.
3. Understanding how school climate and culture have an impact on student achievement and behavior.
4. Understanding bullying, harassment and discrimination, including indicators, early warning signs, prevention and intervention and how to interact with families of victims and aggressors.
5. Understanding diversity and multi-cultural environments and examining your own biases.
This training will utilize information from multiple resources including the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program (OBPP).
The following documents (both required) are related to DASA Training:
Required: Please download, review, and bring these documents to the workshop:
Note: Please do not assume these documents will be provided to you at the training.
DASA Training will take place over the course of the semester. Students choose from either 2 consecutive weeknight 3 hour sessions, OR a full day (6 hour) Saturday session.
For the Spring, 2014: (**Unless otherwise stated, all sessions held in Lecture Hall 3 on the BU Campus)
Wednesday, March 5, 2014 AND Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:15-10:15 pm (both nights)
Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:00 am-3:00 pm (bring bagged lunch)
Wednesday, April 2, 2014 AND Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:15-10:15 pm (both nights)
Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:00 am-3:00 pm (bring bagged lunch) HELD IN FA(Fine Arts)258
Wednesday, April 30th, 2014 AND Thursday, May 1st, 2014 7:15-10:15 pm (both nights)
Saturday, May 3, 2014 9:00 am -3:00 pm (bring bagged lunch)
Last Updated: 3/4/14