Membership in the Harpur Law Council is open to all alumni and friends of the University in the legal profession who seek to enhance the national visibility and to sustain the tradition of excellence of Binghamton University and Harpur College of Arts and Sciences.
Working closely with the Harpur College Dean and the University Alumni Association, the Harpur Law Council seeks to:
- Establish an effective network of University law alumni.
- Mentor students and alumni interested in law careers.
- Recruit outstanding students to attend Binghamton University and Harpur College.
- Provide guidance and advice to Harpur College on academic issues and programs relevant to the legal profession.
- Increase financial support for special projects that include public interest law internships and an electronic law alumni directory.
A Steering Committee
, appointed by the Dean of Harpur College, directs the projects of the Harpur Law Council. Its members seek to broaden the support and involvement of law alumni. Through a comprehensive mix of volunteer opportunities and programs, the Harpur Law Council cultivates positive relationships between law alumni, students and the campus community.
The Steering Committee is supported by five working groups:
- Internship Committee: Enables placement of pre-law students in public interest law internships.
- Academic Issues Committee: Develops programs to assist students preparing for law school.
- Network Committee: Provides opportunities for alumni in the legal profession to network and reconnect with Binghamton University and the Harpur College community.
- Development Committee: Explores ways to increase funding for Harpur Law Council projects and Binghamton University.
- Membership Committee: Encourages the involvement of law alumni volunteers interested in furthering the goals of the Harpur Law Council.
To learn how you can support or become involved in Harpur Law Council projects and upcoming events, contact Lee Nesslage at 607-777-4278 or email@example.com