Transfer Credits

Many students in CCPA have taken college courses elsewhere before matriculating at Binghamton University. A minimum of 60 credits is transferred if you have previously completed an associate's degree.

Courses taken in addition to associate's degree requirements are reviewed on a course-by-course basis. Only courses with a grade of C or better are considered for transfer.

The maximum number of transfer credits accepted from a two-year school is 80.

If you do not have an associate's degree, your courses are evaluated individually. A course must be graded C or better to be accepted for transfer. For courses taken on a Pass/Fail basis, the grade of P is considered to be the equivalent of a C or better and is eligible for transfer.

If you have acquired upper-departmental credit from a four-year institution, you may transfer up to 88 credits.

Questions about transfer credit should be addressed to the CCPA undergraduate academic adviser.

Courses taken at another institution after matriculating in CCPA

You may transfer in credits for courses taken at another college or university is you:

  • enroll in courses at an accredited two- or four-year college;
  • take liberal arts courses or theoretical professional courses (business, computer science, education, human services, etc.): and
  • earn a grade of C or better.

Approval by the CCPA academic adviser is required BEFORE taking the course. Students should complete the Petition to Take Courses at Another Institution. Petitions are available in the Peer Advisers' Office and the Office of the Department of Human Development, or you may download it here Petition to Take Courses at Another Institution. (.pdf, 91 kb)

When the course is completed, you should request that an official transcript be sent to the CCPA academic adviser. When the transcript is received, the CCPA academic adviser will evaluate your work and send you a statement of transfer credit accepted. The total amount of transfer credit will be recorded on your Binghamton University transcript and be reflected on your Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) report.

Grades earned at another institution do not transfer with the credits to Binghamton University. (When applying to a graduate school, you will be required to submit a transcript for all academic work. Thus, grades from all schools will be a factor in admission to graduate school.)

In cases where questions arise about the transferability of a course, a Human Development academic standards committee will review and provide a recommendation about the status of a course. Please note that HDEV 200 (Introduction to Human Development), HDEV 400 (Social Justice) and HDEV 475 (Practicum in Human Development) are not transferable courses and must be taken in the Department of Human Development at Binghamton University. In addition, please note that HDEV 300 is not transferable without the evaluation of a relevant course syllabus and departmental approval. As such, it is expected that the research methods course is equivalent in scope to the HDEV 300 course.

Last Updated: 10/17/14