GSEU Health Coverage


The New York State Health Insurance Plan (NYSHIP) Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP) is a health insurance program for SUNY graduate and teaching assistants and their families. GA/TA must have a social security number to enroll. See "Important Note for New GA/TA's" below.


Hospital, medical, surgical, prescription drug, vision and dental benefits using network and non-network providers.


Graduate and Teaching Assistants represented by GSEU who are active on the State payroll and work at least ½ an assistantship at a stipend that would yield at least $ 4,293 when annualized over the July 1 through June 30 contract year.


Biweekly premium rates for 2015 will be:

  • $ 13.06  Individual coverage
  • $ 78.01  Family coverage

How to Enroll

To enroll you should complete the PS-404G form and return it to the Human Resources office - Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 4:00 pm. See "Important Note for New GA/TA's" below.
**Proof of birth dates, social security numbers and marriage dates will be required for any dependents**.

Effective Date

If you enroll within 45 days of first becoming eligible your effective date of coverage will be the day we receive your enrollment form. If you request coverage after the 45 day open period, you will be required to serve a 30 day waiting period which begins the day we receive your form.


Legal spouse, domestic partner and children up to age 26. Includes natural children, dependent stepchildren, legally adopted children including those still within their waiting period for finalization.
**Proof of birth dates, social security numbers and marriage dates will be required**.

International Students

F1 and J1 Visa Holders: Required to enroll in this plan. Must also purchase medical evacuation and repatriation coverage as a rider through the SUNY International Health Insurance Program.
Contact Lorraine Medionte in ISSS Office or call Ext. 7-2510.

**For more complete information regarding this plan please read in full the NYSHIP - SEHP Benefit Summary brochure.  This is available online or from Human Resources, located in the Couper Administration Building, Room 244.


A social security number is required for enrollment in health insurance and needed for payroll purposes. It is very important that you apply for a social security number with the Social Security Administration Office located in downtown Binghamton at 2 Court Street, Suite 300, Binghamton, NY 13901 as soon as possible after your arrival on campus.  An Employment Verification Letter is required to be submitted with the below linked application – ask your Department Secretary to provide you with the letter.

SSN Application:

To access the GSEU summary online go to

  • Select Employees
  • Select State Government Employees
  • Select NYSHIP under Health Insurance and other Employee Benefits
  • Choose "I am a Graduate Student Enrolled in the Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP)"
  • Click Continue
  • Click Health Benefits
  • Click Summary of Health Benefits

Last Updated: 2/26/15