Leaves for Graduate & Teaching Assistants
- Following one semester of State service, or its equivalent, employees may be granted leave for personal illness at the discretion of the President's designee.
- A maximum number of 5 days may be granted during any one year of the Agreement (July 1 - June 30) for absences due to a temporary disability. An employee unable to perform the duties of the employee's position due to personal illness shall notify the President's designee.
- Employees with scheduled duties (i.e. teaching, leading discussion sections, etc.) shall provide ample prior notice to the President's designee; but in no event later than two hours before the commencement of the scheduled duty, where practicable.
- The President's designee may, at any time, require the employee to provide suitable medical evidence substantiating the claimed temporary disability and/or be examined by a physician selected by the University at its expense. Such examination may also be required of any employee absent due to a claimed temporary disability prior to and as a condition of return to work. Should the campus President's designee believe that medical evidence does not substantiate a claimed temporary disability, use of leave for personal illness shall be disallowed and the employee shall be placed on leave without pay.
- Subject to prior approval of the President's designee, some or all of the 5 days provided during any one year of the Agreement (July 1 - June 30) may be used for absences due to substantiated illness or death in the employee's immediate family (spouse, child, sibling, parent, grandparent, in-laws, or any person with whom the employee has been making his or her home).
- In the event the employee has been granted a leave for personal illness pursuant to Sections (a) or (b) of this Article and the specific condition upon which such leave was granted continues after the five (5) days has been exhausted, the employee shall be eligible for up to an additional twenty-eight (28) consecutive calendar days of leave without pay once during the period identified in the letter of notification as the anticipated duration of employment or the current academic year. Such leave shall be subject to prior approval of the President’s designee upon substantiation of the conditions above. As a condition precedent to the approval of the President’s designee for such leave without pay, the employee must submit documentation that she/he will remain continuously enrolled and will be in good academic standing throughout the employment period of leave without pay. Reinstatement as a GA/TA following leave without pay will be contingent upon verification that the student maintained continuous enrollment and remained in good academic standing throughout the period.
- Employees shall be required to certify their presence and record any absences on forms to be provided by the State. Employees shall also be required to record on such forms any charges for leave for personal illness.
- Leave for personal illness may be granted in units of one-quarter (1/4) day or greater.
Holidays (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Day, Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans' Day, Election Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day) when classes are not in session on our campus shall be treated as holidays with pay for employees in this unit.