Binghamton University State Retirees
Where to Call & Contact
Did you retire from a position represented by UUP (United University Professions)?
Then you most likely need the following information:
UUP BENEFIT FUND
If you were a UUP member when you retired, you are eligible to continue your membership into retirement. Some of the benefits of your paid membership include:
- $1,000 of UUP Life Insurance coverage
- Value Advantage Discount Vision Program
- Opportunity to purchase UUP's Retiree Dental Plans
- Opportunity to purchase UUP's Retiree Vision Plan
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, which carries up to $1,500 in benefits, provided free of charge through NYSUT
- Opportunity to participate in and/or purchase NYSUT and AFT discounted programs and services; and
- Discounts on: Bally's Total Fitness; BJ's Wholesale Club; Carlson Wagonlit Travel; Enterprise Rent-a-Car; Sprint; Green Mountain Coffee Roasters; and Liberty Mutual
United University Professions (UUP) Benefit Trust Fund
PO Box 15143
Albany, NY 12212-5143
NYS Employees' Retirement System (ERS)
- Interactive Voice Response Line 1-518-474-7736
- Outside Albany, Toll Free 1-866-805-0990
- 110 State Street, Albany, NY 12244-0001
Please note that you must apply for your retirement at least 30 days before the effective date.
NYS Teachers' Retirement System (TRS)
NYS Deferred Compensation Plan
INFORM MY DEPARTMENT
For academic planning purposes, we ask that you inform your Department Chair or Dean one year before you retire. Also, please contact the Office of Human Resources for questions concerning your health insurance benefits and other concerns.
OTHER NEW YORK STATE RESOURCES
- Long Term Care Insurance
New York State Public Employee & Retiree Long-term Care Insurance Plan
- State Insurance Fund
- New York State Directory Assistance
- NYS Office for the Aging
1-800-342-9871 Senior Citizen's Hotline
- Governor's Office of Employee Relations
- NYS Insurance Department
1-800-342-3736 Customer Service
1-888-697-7582 Long Term Care
UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
- Call for Medicare benefits and claims information
- Call to enroll in Medicare within 3 months of turning 65 years of age
- NYSHIP requires you and your covered dependants to be enrolled in Medicare Part A and B when either you or they are age 65 or older; have been entitled to Social Security disability benefits for more than 24 months, regardless of age; or have end stage renal disease (permanent kidney failure).
- Medicare Part B:
o The State reimburses you for the Part B premium unless you receive reimbursement from another source
o If reimbursement is not automatic, you need to contact the commissioner of Civil Service and provide a copy of your Medicare card as proof of your Medicare coverage
o Dependents are not automatically enrolled in Medicare Crossover but may request it by contacting United HealthCare and ValueOptions. If you or your dependent becomes Medicare-primary before age 65 because of disability, end-stage renal disease or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), you are not automatically enrolled in Medicare Crossover but may request it if the Empire Plan is your secondary coverage.
Social Security Administration
- This website offers various tools to learn about Social Security income, benefits, direct deposits, tax forms and tax withholdings; calculating your Supplemental Security Income and replacing your Medicare card.
HEALTH INSURANCE/ PRESCRIPTIONS
Empire Plan General Number: 1-877-769-7447
The Empire Plan is a comprehensive health insurance program for New York's public employees and their families. The plan has four main parts:
1. Hospital Benefits Program - insured and administered by Empire BlueCross BlueShield
Provides coverage for inpatient and outpatient services provided by a hospital, skilled nursing facility care and hospice care. Includes the Centers of Excellence for Transplants Program. Also provides inpatient Benefits Management Program services, including pre-admission certification of hospital admissions and admission or transfer to a skilled nursing facility; discharge planning, inpatient Medical Case Management and the High Risk Pregnancy Program.
Services provided by Empire HealthChoice Assurance, Inc., a licensee of the BlueCross and BlueShield Association, an association of independent BlueCross and BlueShield plans.
Empire Blue Cross & Blue Shield Hospital & related services
New York State Service Center
1-877-769-7447 - check on your claims, policies etc.
PO Box 1407
Church Street Station
New York, NY 10008-1407
Must call before scheduled admissions; within 48 hours of an emergency / urgent hospital admission
2. Medical/Surgical Benefits Program - insured and administered by UnitedHealthcare
Provides coverage for medical services, such as office visits, surgery and diagnostic testing under the Participating Provider, Basic Medical Provider Discount and Basic Medical Programs. Coverage for physical therapy and chiropractic care is provided through the Managed Physical Medicine Program. Also provides coverage for home care services, durable medical equipment and medical supplies through the Home Care Advocacy Program; the Prosthetics/Orthotics Network; Centers of Excellence Programs for Infertility and Cancer; and Benefits Management Program services including Prospective Procedure Review for MRIs, Voluntary Specialist Consultant Evaluation services and outpatient Medical Case Management.
PO Box 1600
Kingston, NY 12402-1600
general information, participating providers
www.myuhc.com check on your claims, policies, etc.
3. Managed Mental Health and Substance Abuse Program - insured by GHI and administered by ValueOptions
Provides coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health and substance abuse services.
P.O. Box 778
Troy, New York 12181-0778
• NEW: As of 2009 OptumHealth Behavioral Solutions (OptumHealth)
4. Prescription Drug Program - insured and administered by UnitedHealthcare
UnitedHealthcare partners with Medco Health Solutions, Inc. (Medco) for retail pharmacy network and mail pharmacy services. Provides coverage for prescription drugs dispensed through participating Empire Plan retail pharmacies, the Medco mail service (Medco by Mail) and non-participating pharmacies.
- UHC/Medco: Prescription drugs
Group # UH0712959
Bin # 610014
Member ID# is SSN or Empire Plan ID#
You may fill your prescription through Medco by Mail by using the mail service envelope. For envelopes and refill orders call The Empire Plan toll free at 1-877-7-NYSHIP (1-877-769-7447) and choose The Empire Plan Prescription Drug Program. To refill a prescription on file with Medco by Mail, you may order by phone or on this site. (https://host2.medcohealth.com/medco/consumer/partner/home.jsp?partner=SNY)
Please note that you MUST ALSO CALL FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- Pre-admission certification to the hospital required for ALL TESTS such as Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) or CAT SCAN review
- Home Care Advocacy Program (home care, durable medical equipment, certain medical supplies)
Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs)
Most NYSHIP enrollees have a choice among HMOs. You may enroll - or continue to be enrolled - in any NYSHIP-approved HMO that serves the area where you live or work†. You may not be enrolled in an HMO outside your area. There is a list which will help you determine which HMOs are available by county. The page indicated will describe benefits available from each HMO: http://www.cs.state.ny.us/ebd/ebdonlinecenter/choices09/retiree/ret_choices09.cfm#4
† If Medicare-primary, check with the plan.
*Medicare-primary NYSHIP enrollees will be enrolled in this plan's Medicare Advantage Plan
IMPORTANT TO KNOW
- For State retirees, vestees and dependent survivors enrolled in the New York State Health Insurance Program (NYSHIP):
If you retired from a NY State Agency such as Binghamton University, the Employee Benefits Division in the NYS Department of Civil Service serves as your personal office for health insurance. Therefore, any changes to your current enrollment file must be made by contacting the Division of Employee Benefits at 1-800-833-4344. Enter 1-6-7-2 to go directly to a representative. Or, write to NYS Department of Civil Service, Employee Benefits Division, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12239.
If you have internet access, visit www.cs.state.ny.us/retiress/.
o Changes to your enrollment file require your signature and cannot be made with a phone call. Please be sure to include the date you want the change to take effect as well as your name, address and your Social Security number and / or Empire Plan ID.
o The following are examples when to notify the Employee Benefits Division:
Address, telephone number or name changes http://www.cs.state.ny.us/ebd/ebdonlinecenter/pof/htmlforms/ps850.cfm
Add or delete a dependent on your health insurance file
Having a disabled dependent
You or covered dependent becomes eligible for Medicare benefits because of disability or end-stage renal disease although under age 65 (enclose a photocopy of your or your dependent's Medicare card showing enrollment in Parts A and B)
Enrolled domestic partner becomes eligible for Medicare
Canceling your coverage (include reason and end date)
Correcting our enrollment records because, for example, a name is misspelled or a birth date is incorrect
Need to choose another plan because of you no longer living or working in your NYSHIP HMO's service area
Report a divorce or death
- Have the enrollee's Social Security number and/or Empire Plan ID number and all documents related to your question ready when you call. You can press or say the number.
- Use the automated system. You can order replacement Empire Plan benefit cards, health forms or NYSHIP publications during non-business hours. Be ready to give your name and complete address.
- Employee Retiree Benefits receives the highest volume of calls on Monday mornings. If you need to talk to an Employee Benefits representative, for fastest service, call after noon on Mondays or sometime later in the week.
Recorded Information 1-800-782-0289
General Information: 1-800-422-8463 ext. 44383
General Information 1-800-677-4636