Students may request an insurance waiver if they are covered by an alternative insurance policy that meets the basic requirements of the Binghamton University Health Insurance Plan.
If you are: 1. On CPT with employer Health Insurance OR
2. Student with Private Insurance
Your insurance policy MUST offer the following benefits:
- Emergency and non emergency medical care
- Treatment for pre-existing conditions
- Maternity services
- In-hospital room and board
- Inpatient and outpatient care for mental/nervous conditions
- Outpatient alcoholism and substance abuse coverage
- Prescription drugs
- X-Rays and laboratory work
- Ambulance service
- Medical equipment rentals or purchase
- Treatment for self inflicted injuries and suicide related services
- $300,000.00 maximum reimbursement rate per illness.
- medical evacuation and repatriation (if your plan does not supply this, it can be purchased separately through Binghamton University for a waiver to be granted)
- $ 50 deductible per illness or injury
- Insurance directly pays the provider or pharmacy in the U.S. for services rendered. You do not reimburse the doctor directly.
The act of filing an application for a waiver of your current insurance is not a guarantee that you will be waived out of the mandatory insurance. For a waiver to be granted your current medical insurance policy must fulfill all New York State requirements.
For all waiver eligibility categories review the table below to determine your eligibility and to learn about the process, required documentation, submission deadlines and access the appropriate waiver form: