How to Obtain Income Tax Forms
(For Tax Year 2012)
Many of the Income Tax Forms described below are available in the Office of International Student and Scholar Services, beginning in late January 2013.
Or, you may request forms
by Phone: Federal forms: 1-800-829-3676
New York State forms: 1-800-462-8100 (or)
from the internet:
Important Note: International students in F or J status for 5 years or less (since 2008 or later) and their dependents, file tax forms as non-residents. If you did not earn any income during 2012 other than bank or credit union interest, then you need only file form 8843.
International students who have been in F or J status for MORE than 5 years, or who are in other non-immigrant statuses, are generally eligible to file as residents for tax purposes, and must use different forms. A small supply of resident tax forms are available in the ISSS or may be obtained from the sources listed above.
Here is what you'll find in the ISSS, available beginning late January 2013.
- Tax Information for International Students: Contains helpful addresses, phone numbers, filing deadlines, seminar schedule, and general information.
- Income Tax Webcasts for International Students: List of tax Webcasts and helpful information on how to use the new Glacier Tax Prep tax preparation system.
- Form 8843: All students in F and J status, and their dependents, must file this form, even if you have earned no income in the U.S.
- Form 1040NR EZ and 1040NR EZ Instructions: Obtain both the form and instructions if you earned any US source income (other than bank interest) from the following sources: assistantships, fellowships, scholarships, on-campus employment, off-campus employment, and refund of state and local taxes.
Note: Some students must file 1040NR rather than 1040NREZ. Click here for more information
- Publication 901 US Tax Treaties: Contains information on countries which have tax treaties with the United States. Individuals from a tax treaty country MUST file a federal income tax form in order to claim tax treaty benefits.
- New York State Tax Form IT-203 and IT-203 Instructions: Obtain this form and its instructions only if you had U.S. income other than bank interest. You must file this form in order to claim a refund of any New York State income tax withheld.
- New York State Tax Form IT-203 B: This form must accompany the IT-203. If you will be filing form IT-203, be sure to take form IT-203 B.
Also Available in the ISSS are:
- Tax Treaty charts based on Scholarships and Fellowships
- Tax Treaty charts based on Salary and Wages
- Information sheet on the tax treaty for students from India
- Information sheet on whether to file form 1040NR EZ or 1040NR
- Form 1040NR and instructions
The following forms are for those who file as residents for tax purposes:
- Federal form 1040 and Schedule A and B for form 1040
- 1040 Instructions
- Federal form 1040 EZ and instructions
- New York State tax form IT 201 and instructions
International Student and Scholar Services staff are neither qualified nor permitted to give individual tax advice. Tax assistance is available at: