Global Engagement: Team Vision
Binghamton University will be a global university with world-renowned faculty, strong academic programs, distinguished international partnerships and a lively, multicultural campus. The University will offer a wealth of opportunity for global research and engagement so that students will graduate fully prepared for leadership in and stewardship of a highly interdependent world.
Five Year Aspirational Goals
- Our global learning community will be all-inclusive: students, faculty, staff, alumni, members of our domestic and international partnerships and Binghamton area residents.
- Faculty increasingly will gain international recognition for their scholarship. Many will conduct research and teach abroad; eminent faculty and scholars from around the world will join our learning community.
- Binghamton faculty will develop innovative, international learning opportunities on campus and abroad so that all students acquire knowledge in globally-relevant subject areas and skill in critical thinking, languages and intercultural communications with opportunities to put these skills to use. Our students will engage in the world throughout their course of study.
- Our multi-disciplinary, multi-directional and multi-dimensional (3-M) partnerships within anchor countries will cut across disciplines, departments and schools, enabling faculty, students and staff to move freely across universities in order to conduct research, teach and learn, create distance learning collaborations, and establish non-degree, dual-degree and joint-degree programs.
- Quality education abroad programs, with greatly expanded student access, will be a cornerstone of global learning.
- We will increase and diversify the number of international students who choose Binghamton University. We will expand academic, cultural and social support services to retain these students.
- Staff recruitment and professional development will lead to a multilingual, culturally competent work force who will nurture the internationally friendly campus environment for which we are noted.
- Design plans and funding will be approved for a Global Center, which will be the nexus for international programs and services and a highly visible and inviting central campus space.
Twenty Year Aspirational Goals
- Binghamton will be a premier multi-national university with jointly-run degree programs in select anchor countries and with 3-M partnerships with an extended list of institutions abroad.
- We will be a first choice for international student applicants. The University will have outstanding support services that integrate international students into the university community.
- With a global reputation for quality of research and education, we will foster an open and friendly environment for learning that will enrich the lives of all Binghamton students, faculty, staff and the local community.
- Our guiding principle shall be that every student, faculty and staff member will aspire to be “international,” and this will be part of our institutional culture.