Internships for undergraduates in psychology
Undergraduates in the Department of Psychology can take advantage of internship opportunities in the Binghamton region during the fall or spring terms, or nearer to home over winter or summer breaks. Internship credits can count as a psychology elective (need 4 credits) or can substitute for a 400-level seminar (need 8 credits) as long as students take the Psychology designated section of the CDC course.
You may take a paid internship, get credit, or simply volunteer. Regardless or whether and how you are compensated, internships are a great experience and we highly encourage you to take advantage of them during your time at Binghamton.
If you take an internship for credit, be advised that Binghamton University only allows an 8 credit maximum on internships throughout the course of a student's undergraduate career.
How to get an internship:
- Attend an employer information session or internship fair
- Create your own! Contact employers you'd be interested in working for to determine if they'd be willing to accept an intern.
- E-recruiting - Log on to the e-recruiting site to see internship listings, The deadline to apply through e-recruiting was 10/22/12. You may contact employers directly to apply after this date.
- Go to walk-in hours or schedule an appointment with Laura O'Neill, the Academic Internship Coordinator, to see what other opportunities are available.
*A resume/CV, letters of reference, background checks, drug screening, and shot records may be required by your internship site
CDCI 395 (O) & 385 (W) Professional Internships for credit:
- Credits: 4 credits (upper level)
- Internship Length: January-May for Spring 2013
- Hours at the Site: 120 for the semester
- Oral communication requirement (385)
- Harpur writing requirement (395)
- Weekly 1 Hour Class with Assignments, which may involve journaling, papers, presentations, participation, peer feedback, Mid term and final evaluation by your site supervisor
- YOU MUST GO TO THE CDC TO REGISTER FOR EITHER 395 OR 385
For Fall 2013, the psychology designated sections of the Career Development Center's Internship course, CDCI 385, are:
- Section 25: Thursdays 4:25-5:25 p.m.
- Section 26: Thursdays 5:35-6:35 p.m.
Need help with a resume or cover letter? Go to the CDC for assistance!