Application for Degree
Undergraduate students cannot graduate without submitting an Application for Degree (AFD), available on BU BRAIN. The Application for Degree is a required form that notifies the University of a student's intent to fulfill his/her degree requirements at the end of the current semester.
- You must submit an AFD by the deadline posted for the semester you are graduating to guarantee inclusion in the Commencement program.
- If you need to cancel your application or change your diploma address, please email the Degree Coordinator.
- For information on the graduation ceremony, visit the Commencement website.
- NOTE: Students who complete an AFD are not eligible for a time ticket to participate in pre-registration for the next semester.
Successful submission of the AFD:
- Acknowledges your plan to complete your degree requirements
- Ensures your name appears in the Commencement program
- Ensures you receive your diploma, upon completion of your degree requirements, via mail approximately 6-8 weeks after the semester's conclusion
GRADUATE STUDENTS: For information on completing a graduate degree, please visit The Graduate School >>
Federal Aid and fulfilled degree requirements
Once degree requirements are met for a first undergraduate degree, students are no longer eligible for PELL Grant or SEOG funding. Students are eligible for Federal Direct Loans if they have not reached their undergraduate aggregate loan limit.
Speak with Academic Advisor
To ensure that all degree requirements will be met, students should make an appointment with their academic advisor:
Harpur College of Arts and Sciences >
College of Community and Public Affairs >
Decker School of Nursing >
School of Management >
Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science >
For information about Commencement, including dates and deadlines, a graduation checklist, and FAQs, visit Binghamton's Commencement website.