Office Phone: (607) 777-2306
Fax: (607) 777-4422
Ph.D., University of Texas
MBA, Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Bombay, India
Most Significant PublicationsDesai, Kalpesh Kaushik and Wayne D. Hoyer (1993), "Line Extensions: A Categorization and an Information Processing Perspective," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 20, March, 599-606.
Desai, Kalpesh Kaushik and Vijay Mahajan (1998), "Strategic Role of Affect-Based Attitudes in the Acquisition, Development, and Retention of Customers," Journal of Business Research, July, 309-24.
Desai, Kalpesh Kaushik and Wayne D. Hoyer (2000), "The Descriptive Characteristics of Memory-Based Consideration Sets: Influence of Usage Occasion Frequency and Usage Location Familiarity," Journal of Consumer Research, December, 309-23.
Desai, Kalpesh Kaushik and Kevin Lane Keller (2002), "The Effects of Ingredient Branding Strategies on Host Brand Extendibility," Journal of Marketing, January, 73-93.
Desai, Kalpesh Kaushik and S. Ratneshwar (2003), "Consumer Perceptions of Product Variants That Are Positioned on Atypical Attributes: The Joint Effects of Benefit Segmentation, Brand Familiarity, and Shelf Display," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Winter, 22-35.
Desai, Kalpesh Kaushik and Debabrata Talukdar (2003), "Relationship between Category Price Perceptions, Shopper's Basket Size, and Overall Store Price Image: An Analysis of the Grocery Market," Both authors contributed equally and are listed alphabetically. Psychology & Marketing, October, 903-33.
Desai, Kalpesh Kaushik and Suman Basuroy (2005), "Interactive Influences of Genre Familiarity, Star Power, and Critics' Reviews: The Case of Motion Picture Industry," Psychology & Marketing, March, 203-23. Lead article.
Basuroy, Suman, Kalpesh Kaushik Desai, and Debabrata Talukdar (2006), "An Empirical Investigation of Signaling in the Motion Picture Industry," All authors contributed equally and order of authorship is alphabetical, Journal of Marketing Research, May, 287-95.
Jain, Shailendra Pratap, Kalpesh Kaushik Desai, and Mao Huifang (2007), "The Influence of Chronic and Situational Self-Construal on Categorization," Journal of Consumer Research, June, 66-76. All authors contributed equally and order of authorship was decided by flipping a coin.
Desai, Kalpesh Kaushik and Sekar Raju (2007), "Adverse Influence of Brand Commitment on Consideration of and Preference for Competing Brands," Psychology & Marketing, July, 595-614. Both authors contributed equally and order of authorship is alphabetical. (Branding)
Michael A. Merz, Dana L. Alden, Wayne D. Hoyer, and Kalpesh Kaushik Desai (2007), Brand Extension Research: A Cross-Cultural Perspective, Review of Marketing Research, Vol. 4.
Trivedi Minakshi, Michael Morgan, and Kalpesh Kaushik Desai (2008), "Consumer's Value for Informational Role of Agents in Service Industry," Journal of Services Marketing, Volume 22 (2), 149-59.All authors contributed equally and order of authorship is reverse alphabetical.
Chowdhury Tilottama, S. Ratneshwar, and Kalpesh Kaushik Desai (2009), "The Role of Exploratory Buying Behavior Tendencies in Choices Made for Others," Journal of Consumer Psychology, July, 517-25.
Thomas Manoj, Kalpesh Kaushik Desai, and Satheeshkumar Seenivasan (2011), "How Credit Card Payments Increase Unhealthy Food Purchases: Visceral Regulation of Vices," Journal of Consumer Research, June, 126-39.
Desai, Kalpesh Kaushik and Minakshi Trivedi (2012), "Variety Seeking and Objective Measures of Choice Variety: Do Subjective Perceptions Matter," Both authors contributed equally and order of authorship is alphabetical. Accepted at Journal of Business Research.
Honors and Recognitions
- One of the dissertations I chaired won the 2012 Distinguished Dissertation Award in the Social Sciences Category at Binghamton University.
- The 2011 JCR paper on mode of payment received more than 60 media hits in leading newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, and magazines from around the world including in US (e.g., New York Times, CBS News, ABC News, MSNBC, Time, US News and World Report, Wall Street Journal, Business Week, Forbes), Canada, UK, Germany, France, Belgium, Sweden, Romania, India, Indonesia, Australia, Middle East-North Africa, Mexico, Argentina, and in International Herald Tribune. I was also interviewed by a radio station in Australia.
- Corning Award of Excellence in Research, School of Management, SUNY-Binghamton, 2007-08
- Ranked 132nd in a DocSIG study which examined the publishing history of authors from January 2000 through December 2007 in top-6 marketing journals
- Grant-in-Kind (Funding Surveys), University of Pittsburgh, SUNY-Buffalo, $12,000, 2007
- Grant-in-Kind (Funding Surveys), Customer Equity Corporation, South Africa, $10,000, 2005
- Competitive Research Grants, School of Management, SUNY-Buffalo, 1998-2001; 2003-05
- Bonham Fund Scholarship, University of Texas at Austin,1994
- Editorial Review Board, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 2006 – Present
- Editorial Review Board, Psychology & Marketing, 2008 – Present
- Program Committee Member, Association for Consumer Research Conference, 2012, 2009
- Program Committee Member, Society for Consumer Psychology Conference, Winter, 2009
- Leading Downtown Binghamton Branding Project for The Commission on Downtown Binghamton
- Member of the Binghamton University President's Creative Activities & Research Road Map Team