Note taker services for Binghamton University students with disabilities are administered through the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office. Binghamton University students with disabilities that significantly interfere with their ability to take notes in class are eligible to apply for note taking assistance. Comprehensive documentation from a professional, licensed or certified to diagnose and treat the specific disability, is required.
Students desiring note taker assistance through SSD are expected to take an active role in the arrangement and management of their services. Refer to "Procedures for Accessing Note Taker Services through SSD" for application and utilization instructions.
Students with current authorizations to use SSD Note-taker Services must follow the procedures listed below in order to access such services:
1. Complete and return the "goldenrod" Note-taker Request Form to SSD as soon as you know the courses for which you will need this support service.
Students who have already made arrangements for a classmate to take notes for them should indicate the individual's name next to the relevant course number and title. Carol Hall will contact the notetaker concerning payroll procedures.
If no notetaker arrangements have been made, simply list the course name and number.
2. Notetaker Employment Announcements will be printed and provided to you for each class in which you need a Notetaker.
3. Take the announcement to class and ask the professor to read it aloud at the beginning of the class.
4. Pick up the announcement before leaving class and begin to contact those students who signed up as being interested in notetaking. Use the list of "Interview Tips" and the "Notetaker Responsibilities" document while talking with prospective notetakers. Notetakers should be of sophomore status and have a 3.0 gpa.
5. Once you've selected the notetakers you would like to hire, contact Carol Hall immediately by email. Provide her with the name, email address and telephone number of the student you have selected for each class. Carol Hall will contact the notetaker about making an appointment with her to complete payroll materials.
6. Review the "Consumer Responsibilities" document, and be sure to sign the bi-weekly blue student timesheets.
FAILURE TO PICK UP CLASS NOTES IN A TIMELY MANNER INDICATES YOU ARE NOT DEPENDENT UPON THIS SERVICE. YOUR NEED FOR NOTETAKERS MAY BE RE-EVALUATED BY THE DIRECTOR.
7. If you encounter difficulty in the Notetaker recruitment or selection process, contact Carol Hall at X72686 or firstname.lastname@example.org for advice or assistance.
Last Updated: 8/4/10