Try these easy homemade recipes.
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent (16 loads)
- 1 cup Washing Soda OR Baking Soda
- 1 cup Borax
- Mix thoroughly and store in a plastic container, use approximately 2 TBS per load
- Use vinegar in the rinse compartment as a rinse agent to help prevent residue
- Try adding 2-3 drops of essential oil
Homemade Fabric Softener (15 loads)
- 1 cup baking soda
- 6 cups distilled white vinegar
- 8 cups water
- 10-15 drops of essential oil of choice (optional)
- Add baking soda to a one-gallon plastic container
- Add 1 cup of water to start
- Slowly add vinegar — the vinegar and baking soda will start to fizz
- Add the rest of the water, cover and swirl to mix venting the top a few times
- Add the essential oil
- Add 1 cup in your final rinse cycle for each load but give the bottle a good shake to stir up the essential oil if using.
Frugal Fabric Softener
- Using 1/4 cup vinegar in your laundry’s rinse cycle keeps clothes soft.
- You can set aside a vinegar jug just for laundry and add about 2 dozen drops of your favorite essential oil to the vinegar if you’d like (or as much EO as you feel necessary).
Homemade Glass Cleaner
By Sarah Aguirre1, About.com
- 1 cup rubbing alcohol
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Using isopropyl alcohol and white vinegar together makes a quickly evaporating spray glass and mirror cleaner that competes with national brands.
- This can also be used to give a nice shine to hard tiles, chrome, and other surfaces.
Homemade Laundry Soap Detergent
- 1 cup Vinegar (white)
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 1 cup Washing Soda
- 1/4 cup liquid castile soap
- Pour the liquid soap into the bowl
- Stirred in the washing soda
- Add baking soda and vinegar in small batches (it will foam at first). Make sure the baking soda is not lumpy.
- Mix well. The mixture is a thick paste at first that will break down into a heavy powdered detergent, just keep stirring
- Break up any hard lumps
- Mix well and store in sealed container
- Use approximately 1/2 cup per full load
Lemon and Sage Disinfectant Surface Spray
- Witch Hazel
- Essential Oil – Lemon, Clove, Sage
In a large plastic spray bottle add:
- 3 tbs of witch hazel
- 18 drops of lemon essential oil
- 7 drops of clove essential oil
- 4 oz. of water
- 10 drops of sage essential oil
- Shake until the essential oils are dissolved
- Use to disinfect surfaces as needed. Shake before each use.