Think Center of Excellence
Hard work, dedication and vision laid the groundwork for the Center of Excellence (COE) designation, awarded to Binghamton University's already successful Small Scale Systems Integration and Packaging Center (S3IP). With continuing support, the COE promises to enhance economic vitality through breakthrough research in electronics manufacturing and packaging and will make the region and New York state a vital nerve center in the technology race.
- The COE supports multidisciplinary teams that spawn innovations that turn promising ideas into marketable products. This translates into prosperity for the region, the state and COE partners through research that is helping the state remain competitive in the worldwide electronics industry.
- Since its inception in 2006, our S3IP has joined with its partners to generate an economic impact of approximately $300 million.
- In 2008, the Center for Autonomous Solar Power (CASP) was established with $4 million in federal funding. CASP will focus on tapping into the sun’s immense supply of renewable energy and make it easily accessible as a flexible, large-area and low-cost power source. The multidisciplinary center will focus on areas such as solar conversion efficiency, storage capabilities, solar module stability and power system cost reduction. CASP will enable people to use solar power in ways and places they never have before.
- Over the next decade, research at the COE will change the face of the electronics industry through development of electronic applications for use in medical diagnostics and treatment, defense and homeland security, flexible displays and electronics, computers and telecommunications, and a broad range of new or improved consumer products.
- The COE is already drawing the best faculty and researchers to its headquarters at Binghamton University's Innovative Technologies Complex (ITC) where equipment and laboratories rival those in the best research centers in the country.
- Key partners already conducting exciting research
at Binghamton University's COE include:
- BAE Systems
- General Electric
- Endicott Interconnect Technologies
- Lockheed Martin
- Universal Instruments
- Flex Tech Alliance